31

Whatever it was that kept Neville in its dark hold, he wasn't ready to talk about it. He was not talking anymore about anything that wasn't D.A. related, actually.
I had checked with Seamus who was worried as well, but Neville hadn't opened up with him either. More than once I had breached the subject to let him know I was worried about him; but he had just smiled and hugged me, reassuring me that it was nothing I could help with.

When April arrived, it seemed a lot of time had passed from that day in the rain during Easter break, but in reality it was barely two weeks. Living all together without being able to go outside, meant we could fit a lot of stuff in a day, and it was both a relief and a torment. A relief because I spent almost all my time training and I was now better than any other student (so much so that the Room created a special magical duelant dummy, that I could practice with); a torment because Neville's suffering seemed eternal to me, Seamus, and his other friends.

The first day of April, I was showing a second year the correct movement of the wrist for a particularly strong shielding spell; many seeked me out for advice or tips when practicing and I was thinking of making a class for the smaller ones like the little Gryffindor in front of me.
Seamus poked his head in the dueling room "Jo, come!"

"What's wrong?"

"Nothing, come quick!"

I left the girl to practice and pocketed my wand as I followed him into the living room or Main Room as we called it those days, since it was also a library and laboratory.
A big commotion coming from a group of people close to the open portrait told me that Seamus probably wanted me to divide rations with him; I was already bored at the prospect, when a student moved slightly and I cought sight of blonde hair.
Very light, dirty blonde hair.
I inhaled sharply, stopping.
The little group heard me and opened up to show me Neville at the center, standing next to...
"Luna"
Neville had told me she was safe when Potter had rescued her, but I had no idea she was coming to the castle.
My friend smiled and opened her arms.
I ran towards her and flung myself into her arms, jumping over a low table in the process.
Luna laughed, delighted "I wanted it to be a surprise. Where you surprised, Jo?"
I couldn't answer, tears were choking me.

I didn't leave her side for the next couple of days; I touched her every few minutes to make sure she was still there. She was thinner than I remembered, which made her eyes seem even bigger, but other than that she was exactly the same Luna. I showed her my training exercises and explained the fundamental combat magic principles; I listened to everything she felt like sharing, which to my knowledge was everything that had happened to her; I told her everything that had happened in the castle. Of course I had to share her with Neville, but his moods kept him away from us most of the time.

The third day since she had come back, Luna had me seated on the couch. She started braiding my hair in circles around my head. I was happy to just stay there in silence and let her do whatever she wanted. When she conjured up a mirror I saw, to my surprise, that the updo was simple and elegant; my hair was composed into a soft brown crown, very uncharacteristic of Luna.
"Here, I'm done"

"You're good" I smiled studying my reflection.

"Fleur taught me. She is very nice, you know? She's kind, like you"

I got rid of the mirror with a stroke of my wand and turned around to face her "Thanks Luna... it's been a while since I felt pretty"

She shook her head "You are beautiful Jo! I know you don't think you are, but we see it" she gestured to include all the students in the Room.

I took her hands in mine, touched "We see you too Luna"
And I meant it. We saw how strong, special and beautiful she was. We had missed her.

"I know" She smiled then lowered her eyes "It was hard not to get discouraged, but everytime I closed my eyes I could always see a spark, a flame. It came from your wand. When they came to take me, you tried to stop them"