aftermath

the next day walking to school, i was confused to see that i was the only elementary-aged kid walking. i thought it was strange because our area wasn't exactly known for having the kind of parents who would drive their kids to school, but i thought nothing of it.

arriving at school, i could see a tall woman in heels waiting for me.

i approached her, trying to act normal. "is something going on? i didn't see anyone walking to school today." i, in an attempt to be nonchalant, commented.
"we sent out a request for students to be driven to school today." she answered in that godawful voice adults do where you can hear their smile.

"really? oh, wow. i had no idea. my parents don't have phones, you know how adults can get with technology, so like, some sort of other notice would have been terrific." wow, i am an amazing liar.

she just smiled. "that's okay, let me walk you to your class." she moved out of the way of the door, opening it for me.
i stepped inside, taking a few steps away from her.
"that's okay, i know where my class is. thanks, though."

she shook her head.
"tyler, you were late. unless you want another tardy, i suggest you let me walk you."

i pretended to be thinking about it then ran.

josh's little conspiracy theory has gotten me thinking, and i don't want to be caught alone with an employee at this school, especially one i'm not familiar with. how did she know my name is tyler and i have a lot of tardies?

i ran as fast as i could until i could no longer hear the sound of heels clicking on the floor towards me.
i entered the bathroom to catch my breath.

what was happening?
was i just being weird? she hadnt actually done anything bad, i just started running from her. why was i so scared of her?

i didn't get time to answer my questions. i felt a hand with long nails wrapped around my arm. she pulled me out of the bathroom.
"tyler robert joseph! what do you think you're doing? why are you running from me?"
i recognized her voice. she was the lady from yesterday that caught us.
that reminded me. did josh ever get out?

i thrashed around, trying to get away from her.
she hit me aside the head, i froze.
"that is enough. what's going on with you?"
i didn't answer.
she kept her hand on my arm, and started walking. i decided i had no other choice but to just follow her. i noticed we werent walking in the direction of my classroom.
"uh, ma'am, my classroom is that way." i pointed.

no answer. she just kept walking.
we entered the front office and i realized what was happening.

i  could see josh and brendon lined up on a wall with duct tape on their mouths.