Single Dad (1)

Shawn's POV

(short story)

Sleepless nights is all I've been getting for the past few months. Ever since Lauren died, it's been hard to sleep. Between the depression and the loud crying from our baby, I get about 2 hours of sleep. 4 if you include the naps I take when Gracie takes her naps.

Lauren died while giving birth to our sweet baby girl. It was the worst and best day of my life. Lauren made a big decision that tore me apart. She chose to save our baby girl, than her own life. Which I fully understand, but I just didn't know what to do without her.

I remember that night so clearly. She was 5 months into the pregnancy and that was when things went downhill. The doctor had given us the news that if Lauren had the baby, there would be a slight chance she wouldn't make it. Little did we know that slight chance would turn into a 100% percent chance of her dying.

Knowing Lauren she would want our child to have a chance at a life. I begged her to change her mind and I even told her that we could've just tried for another baby. As selfish as that sounded it didn't matter to me during that time. Don't get me wrong, Gracie is a blessing and I love her to death, I was just hurt at the time.

That night I gave Lauren her last kiss, her last hug, and she gave me the last piece of her, which was Gracie. I also remember her last words:

"I love you Shawn Mendes. You have been the best thing that has happened to me. Take care of our baby for me. I'll be watching over the two of you. Don't hold back on dating, I don't want you sulking over me. I want you to move on from me and give Gracie a mother-figure. I'll always be in your heart bubba. I love you so much, keep rocking the world. I'll see you soon."

Her words haunted me. Everything reminded me of her, especially Gracie. Gracie had light brown eyes just like Lauren. Gracie's nose was shaped like Lauren. She looked like an exact replica of her mama.

I was snapped out of my thoughts when I heard the crying baby. I got up from the bed and headed into the light pink nursery, that Lauren and I painted.

"Hi beautiful girl" I coo as I pick her up.

She looks at me with her beautiful eyes and instantly stops crying.

"I'm going to give you the best life possible."

I head downstairs into the kitchen to give Gracie a bottle. My mom helps me with the baby shopping, Lauren's family comes over occasionally to see Gracie and sometimes to help me look after Gracie.

After feeding Gracie I thought it was a nice day to head to the park. I dressed Gracie in a 'I love daddy' onesie and put her in a stroller. I grabbed the diaper bag and headed out. The park was at least a 15 minute walk from our house.

Although Gracie was still small, it was nice to give her some fresh air. I put her down in the sand box and sat on the concrete next to her.

She touched the sand and started giggling. She looked at me with her big brown eyes and my heart melted. I let her crawl around in the sand making sure that the baby wipes were in her diaper bag, so I can clean her after.

There was another baby in the sand box and she was playing with a shovel. Gracie reached over and tried to grab it from her but the little girl was getting very angry. Soon enough both babies were wailing.

I grabbed Gracie the same time the other little girl got picked up.

"I'm so sorry, she's really grabby and touchy" I say.

"It's okay, Isabella is just a little greedy"

This girl was gorgeous.

"I'm Shawn"

"Y/N, cute baby"

"Thanks, yours as well" I laugh.

At this point the babies stopped crying and probably we're sleeping in our arms.

"Well I should get going, I'll see you around" she says, turning around "Yeah, don't want to keep your husband waiting" I tease, hopefully getting the answer I wanted. "Oh, I'm actually umm single"

I mentally did a happy dance and smiled at her "In that case, mind giving me your number, we can set up a play date for the girls"

"For the girls or us?" she jokes.

"Who knows eh?" I respond handing her my phone, she gladly takes it from my hand and puts in her number.

She hands it back to me and says that she really needed to go. I watch her head to the stroller and as soon as she's out of sight, I put Gracie in her stroller as well.

I walked home and put Gracie in her swing. I hear my phone ding and see that I have a text from my sister, Aaliyah.

We're coming over to see Gracie, be there in 10

I clean up the place to avoid getting scolded from my mother, making sure not to wake up Gracie from her nap.

I hear the doorbell, mentally cursing at myself for forgetting to text Aaliyah not to ring it, because I didn't want Gracie waking up. But it was too late, I picked up Gracie as she screeches into my ear.

I open the door for my family and they instantly went for Gracie, not even bothering to say hi to me.

"We're so sorry sweet girl" My mom coos at her granddaughter.

"How's life son?"

"It's good, I actually met this girl earlier at the park" I explain following them into the living room.

"Is that so? What's she like?" My dad questions.

"Well she has gorgeous brown hair, hazel eyes, tan skin, she was short, but it was cute. Oh and she also has a daughter, who seems to be Gracie's age" I explain, smiling as I remember the little flashback.

"Well you look happy, we're proud of you hun" My mom says, still holding onto Gracie.

Narrator's POV

The small family enjoyed their dinner together, talking about their lives.

It's the first time that Shawn has been happy and content with his life ever since Lauren's death. It also is the first time he hasn't thought about Lauren. Lauren would probably be happy for him and that he's starting to move on.

After his family left, he gave Gracie a bath, he didn't want his daughter sleeping with dirt all over her. Gracie loved bath time, she got to play with the bubbles and all her bath toys. Shawn watched his daughter with a big smile on his face. He took multiple photos on his phone, so he can embarrass her when she's older.

After bath time it was finally time to put Gracie to bed, he sang her to sleep while rocking in the rocking chair next to the crib.

That night Shawn debated on whether he should text Y/N, which of course he ended up doing since he had a huge crush on her.

S: Hey

I mean it was a start, the poor boy has been rusty at this sort of stuff.

Not even a minute later he got a reply.

Y/N: Shawn??

S: It's me, I was thinking about you

Y/N: Missed me already eh

Shawn laughed at her comment.

S: More like I miss Isabella, playdate tomorrow? my house?

Y/N: Sure we'll be there at 12. Goodnight Shawn xx

S: Goodnight Y/N, sweet dreams can't wait for tomorrow xx

That night, Shawn went to sleep for more than two hours, he was happy, and things were finally looking up for him.

--

The End

I'm having writers block, I'm sorry for these crappy story ideas