11

Gemma

Gemma

"Is it true that you only charge thirty-five dollars an hour?"

If I were sitting on a chair back home in my kitchen, I would nearly fall off of it. The first half of the drive to the campground has been nothing but limited small talk and awkward atmosphere, combined with the soothing lull of country music. It's strikingly indecent, this whole situation, but at least Jake and Hanna know the difference between good music and bad music. If they had been fans of rap music, I may have thrown myself out the window. Awkward tension aside, Hanna has barely said a word this whole time. I can't blame myself for being shocked when she says this. Especially in the tone she's said it.

I swivel in my seat, staring at Hanna. She and Jake have some striking similarities: the colour and shape of their eyes, the boldness of their defined cheekbones, and the thickness of their hair. But that's about where it ends. While Jake looks more like his dad – if I'm remembering what he looked like to the proper degree – Hanna is the perfect mixture of their parents. She's strikingly beautiful with her rounded face, sharp cheekbones, and chocolate-coloured hair with caramel highlights. I don't know if those highlights are natural or come from some type of product, but I would kill for highlights like hers.

"Uh...yes?" I reply, resisting the urge to frown. I know it seems cheap, considering the number of products I have to buy and continuously keep up with, but I judge my price range by the amount of business I receive. And I don't mean to brag, but I get a lot of business. If I didn't, I wouldn't be able to afford my house and all the little additions I have along with it.

While I anticipated having to be involved in a numerous amount of conversations, I certainly hadn't considered that I might have to discuss the functionality of my business. Especially with someone who barely says more than two sentences unless a topic of her interest is being discussed. To me, Hanna's quietness raises a bit of concern. I understand that she's been through a lot in regards to her parents dying, but it's been nearly five years. I'm not judging her. All I'm saying is that if you've made it this far after your parents have passed away from a sudden accident, you should be able to account for some strength, some form of confidence.

Hanna wrinkles her nose, discarding the book she's been reading to the side. "Why? I was reading through your website. It seems like you do a lot of work to play someone's fake girlfriend. You must spend hundreds on makeup and stuff. Not to mention the amount of studying you do to play the part. I just think you're being underpaid."

Out of curiosity, I glance at Jake. He's got his aviator sunglasses on, as well as a backwards ballcap, but I can still tell when he looks at me. I cock an eyebrow, raising the silent question of how Hanna could have possible adopted this...this...nosy attitude. It vaguely reminds me of someone I knew in high school. With the corner of his mouth upturned in a ridiculously charming smirk, Jake shrugs. "She found your website all on her own, Gemma. My hands are clean."