18

Jake

Jake

Gemma and I show up five minutes early to the campfire, immediately migrating to our group of familiars: Hanna and Cassian. Despite the bags under Cassian's eyes, he looks a million times better than he did last night. I want to make a comment about the two of us being in the same boat. However, before I can, the rest of the participants, including Olive, show up. Immediately, I stiffen. Is it just me, or does Olive's dark hair seem shinier beneath the spotted sunshine? And are her shorts just a little shorter than usual?

If Gemma was right about Olive upping her game, I'm going to throw myself off of a cliff. The last thing I need is Olive trying even harder to get to me. I already have to balance being Hanna's older brother and parental figure, not committing a felony against Cassian for getting me into this mess, and working with Gemma, despite the underlying hatred and shade she tends to throw in my direction on a regular basis.

"Okay," Albert shouts, clapping his hands. He's a tall, sixty-year-old man with a balding head and a blindingly pale complexion. Just like Cassian and I, he's looking rough but better. Although I wish Olive were still suffering from food poisoning, I'm thankful it's only lasted a day for the majority of us. A few people are still missing from the group but the majority are present. "Now that we're all here, let's get started with the scavenger hunt."

I suppress an eye roll. I loved scavenger hunts...when I was a kid and attending the summer camps my parents would put me in. Now? Now, I think this is ridiculous – even for a work trip that's supposed to help build teamwork and trust. It seems too elementary for an investment group and a coffee company. We should be doing something much more productive than this. That being said, however, at least we're not being assigned partners and I get to do this stupid scavenger hunt with Gemma. When Cassian and I reviewed the itinerary for this trip, he volunteered to be Hanna's partner and I'm guessing that's still the plan.

"Now," Albert continues. "If you all don't mind lining up in front of the benches, I will distribute the lists and assign partners."

What the...?

A crease forms between my eyebrows. We're being assigned partners? Since when? The itinerary mentioned nothing about being assigned random partners. But as much as I want to voice my opinion, I know I can't. In the end, Albert is going to be the one who decides on whether or not his company invests in Elemental Coffee. Both Cassian and I have to be able to display a level of professionalism during these next two weeks. If we don't, we're going to lose out on a major deal that could potentially skyrocket our company. So, although I can already feel the sting of pessimism in my bones, I bite my lip and wait for the partners to be revealed.

Albert begins to walk down the line, handing out a piece of paper to everyone. The paper I receive is green and chalky against the skin of my hands. "Our main goal during these two weeks is to get to know one another," he says, returning to his alpha position before us. "As a team, as potential business partners and investors, it is required that we build and maintain a strong foundation to keep the legacy alive. With the exception of Mr. Russell and Miss Swift, I will be randomly pairing the rest of you with new partners."