43

Gemma

Gemma

"How much longer are you going to make me do this?" I ask Cassian as he unfolds the red-and-white chequered picnic blanket he brought. Anxiously, I begin to swing the cooler back and forth. Just like old times (and by old times I mean the recent camping trip, as well as high school), Cassian and I planned out a way to bring alcohol onto public property without breaking the law. We brought some beer and wine coolers and ice, which we're going to put in our Yeti cups. No one will ever be able to tell if we're drinking water or booze...So long as we don't drink too much and start acting like idiots. Which is something I'm definitely not going to do. Being around all these people, these people who continue to stare and whisper in my direction, I need to stay alert. I've seen several people already that were the main characters in my nightmares back then. I know the truth in my heart – I didn't sleep with anyone back then – but that doesn't stop them from acting relentlessly.

"I didn't force you to come here," Cassian states, cocking an eyebrow at me from behind his sunglasses. "You made a deal with your brother. Don't pin this on me."

I huff out a plume of frustrated air, tucking a strand of hair behind my ear. "I wasn't pinning this on you. You did show up at my house to pick me up, though. So some of the blame does go to you."

"Okay, fine. But someone has to keep you from moping. Although, I do have to admit that I'm getting tired of trying to prevent both of you from moping around. Why can't you just talk to Jake, Gemma? I understand you're upset with yourself for making such an immature decision about how to get back at him, but where do we draw the line here? The only reason you did that to him was because of the decisions he made. This is your prime opportunity to stop the cycle and prevent something like this from happening again in the future. Hold yourself accountable for what you did, but don't constantly blame yourself and wallow in self-pity."

I push my sunglasses down the bridge of my nose and give him a look. "I'm not moping."

"I've run into you at the gym six times this past week – and I only go in the morning. A little bird told me you've been going twice a day for three hours, give or take. You're basically replacing sex with exercise, and that's terrible to overwork your body like you are. I'm a workout fiend and even I know my limits."

"I'm...I'm not replacing sex with exercise!" I sputter, my cheeks heating. "I'm far from being satisfied with – "

Cassian holds up his hand. "Please," he drawls. "You and Jake were always much more relaxed and content the next morning and well into the evening. You two always acted weird."

I set the cooler down and turn my back to Cassian, crossing my arms over my chest. "I don't think exercising qualifies as moping."

"Maybe you're right," he replies, taking his place next to me as he searches the crowd. "But it definitely qualifies as a distraction."

A crease forms between my brows. Cassian's an idiot – a stupidly observant idiot. On top of going to the gym twice a day, I've also been walking there to get some extra fresh air. Aside from the night Reid arrived, I've kept up that routine. And as much as I hate to admit it, Cassian's correct – all this exercise is a distraction to keep my mind off of Jake and the reunion. Despite being strong and brave enough to come, I'm anxious. It's difficult not to be when there's a lot of bad blood circulating around this grassy field.