28

Jake

Jake

Using the supplied tongs, I place two waffles on my plate and coat them in whipped cream, fresh strawberries, and maple syrup. I normally avoid sugary foods like waffles, but I'm in the mood for something sweet this morning. It's probably because, despite our agreement that last night was too fast and rushed, Gemma and I still fooled around in bed for an hour or so before Gemma decided she was hungry. When she said that, I made a comment that earned me a playful punch in the arm.

"That's a first," Hanna says, eyeing my plate. "Since when do you have sugary foods for breakfast?"

Uncomfortable with the fact that even my sister is questioning my diet choices, I shut down any parts of my mind that are thinking about what happened last night, and shrug instead. "We're on a mini-vacation," I reply. "It seemed only fitting to have a cheat day. Can you believe today is the last day already?"

Hanna shrugs, grabbing an English muffin and constructing a vegetarian breakfast sandwich, complete with avocado, tomatoes, and a plant-based patty. "I'm happy we'll be away from Olive," she replies. "I don't know how much more I can handle."

"At least you'll never have to see her again," I mutter, bumping Hanna's shoulder with mine. I have to lean down to do it, and it's slightly uncomfortable, but it's worth it because it makes her laugh. "If Cassian and I can get this deal, I'll have to work with her more frequently than ever."

A look crosses Hanna's face as she wrinkles her nose. "Why can't Cassian do all the work?"

"Because he's a wimp," I joke as we wind our way to the table. We sit down on the far end, away from everyone else. I'm thankful that breakfasts and lunches haven't been sit-downs like dinners have – it gives us a break from having to socialize with everyone else. Not that I don't like any of the people we've gotten to know – the majority of them are good people. But I like being able to sit with my family and close friends. 

"You should fire him and hire Gemma," Hanna says. "She would be able to put up with Olive."

"That's not happening because they would probably end up burning the building down," I reply, replaying the time Gemma slapped Olive across the face. If Gemma has the ability to do that to Olive when we're acting, I can't imagine what she'd do now that we're dating. Personally, I'd like to see it. Maybe it would be the final push Olive needs to get the hell off of my back.

"Speaking of Gemma," Hanna says through a mouthful of her breakfast sandwich, "where is she? She's always adamant about eating breakfast."

"She already ate," I reply, scooping up some whipped cream and strawberries. "Gemma and Cassian left early for breakfast and then decided to go on a run before our final set of activities today." I glance at my waterproof watch. "They should be back any minute now."

Hanna and I lapse into silence for several seconds, both enjoying our food. At one point, Hanna reaches over with her fork, the one she's been using to eat cut-up pieces of cantaloupe, and steals some of my waffles. I swat at the fork with my own. "You have your own food," I say.