epilogue

"HOW ABOUT

"HOW ABOUT... AXEL?" Michael Langdon suggested, his arm wrapped around his lover's as they strolled down the busy street, fingers interlocked. The couple had been bickering over names for a dog for days now, but their true opposite natures prevented them from ever coming to a final decision.

"What, is the dog joining a motorcycle gang?" Molly Walker refuted, her nose scrunching with distaste. "How about... Gabriel?"

"Did that name seriously just come out of your mouth?" Michael recoiled with disgust, playfully shoving her by the shoulder. "Stop trying to get one of your bible names involved, it's like I'm dating a Jehovah's Witness."

Molly scoffed over-dramatically, pretending the comment annoyed her but she could only keep the act going for a couple of seconds before breaking down into laughter.

It felt like decades had passed since they had first met, and Molly supposed eight years was still a rather long time, but it felt so much more prolonged purely by the progress they had made. Once Michael had revealed he suffered from the same dramatic growth spurt Molly had, Louisa had taken him in out of the kindness of his heart and assigned him the spare room. Her daughter became fast friends with the boy, and as much as she tried to stifle any bubbling romance, even she couldn't help but adore the connection they had formed.

They had as many ups as downs of course, with one particular low point coming to mind when Molly had discovered Michael had killed her beloved cat. The malevolent act had hurt her feelings so much that he vowed to never harm another living creature again, something his grandmother had tried to instil in him for years. Although all of Constance's lectures didn't compare to the heartbroken expression that spread across his girlfriend's face when poor Garfield had been found, torn apart.

In truth, as the years progressed the bitterness within him that kept him absolutely devilish during infancy seemed to fade. He didn't have to be a psychologist to know it was Molly's influence. Being around her made him want to be someone worthy of her love, and she had so much love to give.

They had been living together outside of her mother's house in a tiny apartment for around a year now, and decided the summer months was a better time than any to take the next step - getting a dog. Michael noticed as soon as it was suggested that she was nervous, memories of the ginger cat coming back to haunt her. Her reservations made him want to spoil whatever dog they would choose from the shelter and show him that they could be that couple from every romantic comedy she forced him to watch over the years.

"It's like Italy all over again," Michael continued with a snicker, "you just felt a connection with the Pope."

"Listen," Molly interrupted while holding a hand in the air, " I admired the work of Michelangelo on the Sistine chapel. There's a difference."

"I swear you fangirled," he teased.

"Okay, do you want me to bring up the time you watched The Omen and convinced yourself you were also the real living Antichrist?"