T W E N T Y - T H R E E

The town square is festively decorated, balloons in every color, string lights hanging from tree to tree, a stage where MisFits is playing happily, no stress of a big show - just playing to play, the smell of home cooked meals in the air and the feeling of freshly cut grass against the bottoms of my feet.

I walk along the long picnic table, filling my plate with Miss Eleanors famous Mac and cheese, Nadine's delicious pastries, and some barbecue grilled up by Stevie's father, Hank. Even more food lines the long tables, salads and kebabs, greasy appetizers and more kinds of pasta salad than I even knew existed. I chew cheerfully, taking turns watching Beau on stage, and keeping an eye on the few toddlers running through the grass after one another.

Nadine stands beside me, leaning her head on my shoulder. "I'm gonna miss you, Miss Emma." Her words pull at my heart, and for the millionth time these past three months, I'm tempted to stay. Looking around the park, at the faces I've come to know better than the back of my hand, tears prick my eyes. This is home. A year is a long time to be away.

But how many times did I bid Gemma farewell, silently filled with envy that she got to spread her wings and see the world?

"I already miss you," I admit, leaning my head on top of Nadine's, her tight curls tickling my ear. "But the year will go by faster than you know it, and I think MisFits has a show not too far from here. I'll visit," I promise. The tour is finally here - Beau and I got through the past three months skating on thin ice with Fiona: tonight is as much a celebration of that accomplishment as it is a goodbye party for me.

I raise my hands above my head and clap as MisFits wraps up their set for the evening, finally making their way to the dinner buffet.

"Oh, that smells good," Zach sticks his tongue out happily as he rushes past me to fill his own plate. I watch Jace make his way around the food table and dig into the cooler, retrieving a couple of beers, and shake my head.

"I hope you saved some of that Mac and cheese for the rest of us," I smile at Beau's voice, leaning back against his chest into his embrace.

"Mmm, sorry," I tilt my head back against his shoulder and plant a kiss on his neck. "It was just too good to save,"

He laughs, sending vibrations through both of our bodies. "That's my girl," I watch as he walks off to get his dinner, swinging his arms cheerfully.

"Emmy's in love," Gemma's small, sing song voice fills my ear as she pops up beside me, Nadine still on my other side. "She's got those puppy dog eyes,"

"I do not," I scoff, looking to Nadine to back me up. My eyes flicker back to Beau, laughing loudly at something Tyler has said before throwing a strawberry at his head. Involuntarily, my mouth turns up into a grin when he laughs another time.

"Miss Emma," Nadine puts a hand to her chest dramatically, "Is that a twinkle in your eye? Are you blushing?"

"Leave me alone, both of you!" I swat at them as they giggle. "I'm gonna refill the ice or something," I roll my eyes and trudge over to the cooler, peering inside just for show, but realizing we are actually a bit low.

"You can run," Gemma shouts at me as I pass her. "But we know the truth!"

I roll my eyes, a habit I've picked up from Beau, and head over to the general store across the street.

I jump, noticing someone behind the counter. "Oh, Stevie, hey," I redirect myself towards him instead. "What're you doing over here?"

"We need ice," Stevie shrugs, barely raising his head to look at me.

I nod, peering over the counter at Stevie's feet. "So where is it?" I ask, head tilted to the side.

"What?" He meets my gaze and his eyes are glassy, how many drinks has he had?