T H I R T Y - T W O

Dear Emma,

I know you don't want to hear from me - I got that from the unanswered calls and messages. Believe me, I don't blame you for keeping your distance. But the thing is, I've been doing better lately and when I think of the person I want to tell, it's you. Kind of selfish of me, I know, but there's something else, too. I need a way to tell you what I have to say. There's no way to tell if you read my letter, but I guess I'll just have to have faith.

Do you remember the day we broke up? I was a dick. There's a million things I should've done differently and believe me, I've gone over every one at least a thousand times. But I can't change that now, and I'm sorry for the hurt that I caused. You never deserved any of it.

Anyways, I told you that we weren't real - just two strangers forced to put on a show. You should've slapped me, but you only asked if I really thought we were strangers, after everything we'd been through. I never answered you and you left. That was it.

And here we are.

Well, Emma, I've had plenty of time to think and I'm ready to give you my answer. The truth is, we're not strangers, not even close. You know me better than anyone I've ever met, MisFits fans included, and sometimes even better than myself. I feel you with me all the time, even when we're thousands of miles apart. You might not hang around anymore, but I can't pick up my guitar or start a song without you there. I see your face every time I run into the coffee shop or open up a book. (I know - it turns out you were right and I do like to read.)

I can't have you anymore, I know that I royally fucked that up. Add that to the list of things I've ruined in my life, right?

But here's the important part, the part that I need you to know.

I wouldn't change a thing - not the dumb stuff I grew up with or all the bullshit I went through with the label, the crazy thoughts in my head, none of it. Because in the end, all of that stuff brought me closer to you.

And out of all the places I've been, that's by far my favorite one.

Take care of yourself, Emma.

Yours forever,

Beau