Letter

Varian raced towards the castle, ignoring the strange looks as he passed. Every now and again, he would find one full of hatred... it was to be expected when you take over an entire kingdom. He shrugged to himself, hoping that it would help him feel better.
The black rock had been long removed, but if you looked hard enough, you could still make out the location of each one.
Varian passed Monty's candy store just as he turned his closed sign to open. He waved at him from ahead," Hey...Varian, do you want to try my new flavor of bubble gum... it's long-lasting." He waved, trying to get Varian's attention.
"Sorry, Monty, but I'm in a bit of a hurry, but save a piece for me,"
"Alright, see ya." He waved happily as Varian trodded onward.

***

Arriving at the castle gates always gives Varian a feeling of wonder and excitement. He couldn't wait to get back into his laboratory...after, of course, he fixed the boiler. He was studying how to transport sewage and water into the same system, creating a style...of mutualism where every source held a purpose. It wouldn't have to be constantly maintained if it all worked to help each other. He couldn't wait to share blueprints with Rapunzel, later, of course.
Turmeric came to a rough stop, its hind legs reaching the sky with its tail wacking Ruddiger's face. Varian gently stepped off, still holding the reins.
Ruddiger jumped off Turmeric onto Varian's shoulder and then to the ground, processing through the gates. Not noticing his master wasn't behind him.
Varian led Turmeric to the stables as he walked forward to the castle doors, worry filling his chest. Varian was just about to go through the gates when he was stopped by two guards who used their spears to block his path.
"What's your business here?"
I should have known I would have to deal with the guards. They should already be used to me coming in every now and again.
"Oh, I'm here to address some urgent matters. I fear the boiler may have overheated again."
"And why do you think we'll just let you in." The one guard seemed to glare at him.
"Well, because." He pulled himself high, saying, "I am Varian." They both eyed him in question. "Come on? Really?"
"Gentlemen, please don't tell me you don't know who this is...this is the Mighty Alchemist, Varian of Old Corona. Who has blessed you with hot running agua." Varian was overjoyed to see Lance wearing what appeared to be a Captain of the Guard uniform?
When did he start speaking Spanish?
"Oh, sorry, Captain." One of the guards said. Lance put his arms around the two Guards' shoulders. "It's alright, boys."
"Well, Um...Lance, I think you better let go." Varian pointed at the guards. He looked down at the soldiers' faces turning purple.
"Oh, sorry, boys." He let go and cleared his throat. "Guess I don't know my own strength." He let go of them and cleared his throat. "Please continue with your duty."
"Yes, sir." They both saluted in unison. He walked over to Varian. "Sorry about that, Varian. These are the new transfers from the academy."
"Oh, it's fine...about the urgency you menti-." He put his hand to my mouth. "Not here." He motioned him inside. Varian hesitantly, though he quickly followed his steps.
It had always been a bit of a puzzle to get around. Each painting looks identical to the alchemist, except for a couple I could always remember after working with my co-lady-in-waiting.
V A blush bloomed behind my mess of hair. Cass entered his mind. Her charming smile that day and her vulnerability with me was the most tremendous honor she could given. He looked up at the exact place, seeing her faded silhouette. Varian shook off his vision, returning to the situation,
"So Lance, what are you doing here? I thought you'd be busy being a father figure to Kiera and Catalina."
"Oh, yeah..." He looked a bit panicked, trying to find the right words.
"Well...let's just say something urgent came up...They were good sports about it, though. I promised them that we would go out on a father and daughters date once I got back." He smiled at Varian, who responded with a 'I don't believe you' face.
"Hah, Angry and Red being good sports about something...no." He chuckled slightly.
We passed frame after frame perfect family portraits. Rapunzel gleamed in her newest painted illustration. Eugene and Rapunzel rested in the beautiful courtyard surrounded by a lightly white lily with a purple center. They both looked at each other, infatuated in each other's eyes. However, you couldn't acknowledge the painting without the flying cake in the background, heading straight towards them from a distance. It had splattered the couple, starting a cake fight with all the invites. It was the first wedding he had been to, and he could confidently say it was the best he had been to.
Getting out of his thoughts, he saw they had finally made it to the throne room doors.
He looked up at Lance, seeing that he seemed on edge. Varian walked ahead of him, about to open the double doors, when he appeared in front, knocking him to his back. "What are you doing," Varian said, a bit annoyed.
"We've arrived,"
"Yeah, I can tell...Are we going in, or will we stand out here?"
"Oh, the alchemist has some sass today." Varian pouted with a sly smile from the ground.
"We're meeting in the royal study this time...we prefer to have it a bit more laid low."
"Gee, this must be a pretty huge leak." Lance raised his eyebrows before shaking his head, "Ahh, yeah, sure...the leak." He slicked his fingers at me, pointing towards the royal study, which stood a few paces away. Lifting himself off the floor, he followed Lance again, heading into the study. The room was small in size but held books gracefully on all walls. Except for a small spacing of a window where the King and Queen were seated on cushions, each intensely hooked onto the books they were reading.
Lance shouted at the top of his lungs, "My King and Queen may I introduce; Varian, The Mighty Alchemist of Old Corona." Varian couldn't help but feel embarrassed as his hand involuntarily dragged over his face. The servants cleaning the bookshelves turned in their direction. Varian thought he heard a whisper about his collaboration with the Saporians and how he took over Corona.
"Lance, you realize we know who he is, right." The King spoke, not bothering to look up from his book, which read, 'The Cultured Eggs of Tirapai,' but Varian could still hear his eyebrow raise.
"Oh, sorry, I just got a bit excited. You only get so many chances to announce someone." Lance stepped back a bit, a feeling of embarrassment finally hitting him.
"Varian, It's such a pleasure to see you." The Queen squeaked.
"And to you, to your Highness..." Varian gave a slight bow. He didn't know how she could even see him since they still refused to provide them with their attention.
"I wish to speak with Alchemist and Lance alone. You are all excused," said the QueenQueen to her book. The butler standing by the door immediately reacted and ushered the maids out of the room. Varian noticed Faith and gave her a small wave, to which she responded with a nod before making her way out. The group quickly left, closing the door behind them. Lance promptly locked it.
Once the sounds of the servants had faded down the hall, Lance signaled to the two of them. The King stood, dropped his book to his lap, and revealed Stan, leaving Varian shocked by the sudden reveal. "Stan! What are you doing here? Where is the King?" The Queen then revealed herself to be Pete, leaving Varian even more confused. "What is going on? Why are you...?" The three immediately covered Varian's mouth. Lance put his finger to his lips, motioning for him to be silent, and forced him to nod in agreement.
"Lance, what's going on?" Varian said forcefully.
Ok, a few days ago, a letter arrived at the palace. It was sent by the Saporians, saying they were coming to destroy Corona once and for all. Talking about this device that could destroy the Kingdom in one flash. But, they promised that if the King and Queen gave up Rapunzel to them, they would leave Corona in 'peace.' He flexed his fingers up and down, showing they didn't plan to keep their word.
"The Royal family left a few days ago to arrange some sort of peace treaty with the Saporians, and we haven't heard anything since...until this came this morning."
"Could I see the letter?"
Lance walked over to the King's desk, rummaging through the first drawer. Finding the letter, he held out to me with pride. It looked like the same writing he had received, laced in red cursive.
Varian squinted at the letter, quickly tearing open the already-opened seal.

***

Citizens of Corona,
It has come to our attention that you have finally realized the Royal family's disappearance. Congrats on that. Anyway, we have gladly accepted the princess necessary to our assets.
However, it has come to our attention that she no longer possesses any required elements that we need, so we request that you offer up that traitorous alchemist, Varian. Or we'll infiltrate Corona and rip him from your COLD, DEAD FINGERS!
Sincerely Andrew.

***

Well. Huberts still a drama queen. And to think that perhaps with the defeat of Zhan Tiri, we would be at peace. Does this have anything to do with the Cadence Patterns that Demanitus studied through his astronomical study of the stones?
"That got dark fast... that doesn't explain the dress-up party you've been having?" Pete looked completely and utterly embarrassed in the Queen's dress, with Stan reassuring him that he looked absolutely gorgeous in the mint green floral.
Varian clutched the paper, unbelieving. "They thought it would be best to handle the situation without the public knowing. Having fear running through the Kingdom, there would be another riot revolving around," He cleared his throat, "Your past affiliation. Eugene temporarily commanded the troops, telling me to guard Corona until Cassandra arrived."
Varian's eyes rose, "Cassandra's coming?" Lance nodded.
"We even gave our mission a name it's called." Lance spread out his arms like he wanted Varian to picture this scheme with Stan, and Pete added drum roll noises from behind him.
"The Honeymoon!" They said in unison. They all express jazz hands. Varian stood there shocked, unsure of what to say. " Speechless, huh?"
"Why would you call it the Honeymoon?"
Lance looked between Stan and Lance, "We made up a story about how Rapunzel and Rapunzel went on their honeymoon to the Tirapai island, just so we don't have to get more people involved."
"But you should get the people involved. If this letter is the truth, then the Saporains are on their way for me as we speak, and you're sitting here playing dress up?" Varian ran his gloves down his face.
"First of all, this was the best solution we could think of rather than causing a widespread panic. Now that you're here, you can help us prepare for the Saporians. Since Cassandra hasn't yet arrived."
"What!?! Don't you think it's a bit late for that?"
"Perhaps, better late than never." He shrugged with Stan and Pete's repeating the same motion.
Varian slapped his forehead for the third time that day. "Do the guards know what's going on?"
His finger moved to agree before slowly dropping, "No...but we have doubled our defenses. at least..." His voice trailed off.
. "Why would you not...UHHH!!" Varian screamed in frustration. They all shushed me.
"No shush, all of you; the King and Queen are in danger; the princess and Eugene are in danger. You're treating this like it's some sort of game?" Varian began pacing, his fingers running through his hair.
"I don't know why you're stressing out. We're keeping the peace just like the King wanted, and I'm not going against the King's orders." Lance reached for Varian's shoulder, "It's best if they don't-." He pulled away from his reach.
"We can't just sit here and wait. We have to do something else to help the Royal Family. What about Eugene? Don't you care about him? Or do you care more about his post?"
"Ooooh," Stan and Pete said. Varian's anger flooded through, tracing over to Lance and another source. Realizing his anger, he took a deep breath, calming himself down. Once Lance did this, he continued.
"I care about Eugene. But we've handled the Saporians before, and I know we can handle them. Especially with you on our side," Varian interrupted him.
"Even so, if Corona isn't ready, the Saporains will convince the people to turn on us. You have put the people in a vulnerable state, and if you don't tell the truth, the Saporians will. And all that fight would have been worthless." Tears sprang in Varian's eyes as he began to re-living a long lost life.
Lance sighed, standing there motionless. Varian shook his head, not wanting to keep reminding himself of that pain.
He knew that he had hit the right target for Lance. Everyone in the room was stunned by Varian's statement, including Pete and Stan. Varian looked at them, tired of waiting, and said, "Fine, I'll find someone else to help them."
Pete tried to stop Varian, "Wait, Varian..." but he was already at the door, gently opening it before turning. "You'll realize sooner or later that they will notice whether it comes from you or the separatists," Varian said before closing the door softly with a final remark.