Visiting Varian

The raccoon stood paralyzed in front of me. My sword pointed inches from Ruddiger's face. I gently lowered it, my fears softly melting away. I kneeled to his level, showing him I meant no harm. His fear softly decreased. He chittered in delight.He scampered up my arm, nuzzling my cheek. I stroked his back. Owl landed on my other shoulder, giving Ruddiger a death stare, clearly jealous. I went to stroke his head.
"It's ok, don't be jealous." I smiled at him. Ruddiger continued to nuzzle me."Ok, Ruddiger, you can stop." He instantly stopped."Aren't you supposed to be with Varian?" As soon as I said that sentence, my body froze. Could he have escaped!I quickly made my way out of the room with Ruddiger holding on for dear life. Owl took to the skies, making her way in front of me. I noticed glances turn toward my direction, but they wouldn't stop me from reaching my destination.I walked down the cold, dark steps to the dungeon. I stood face to face with the door to the cells. Owl landed on my shoulder. I made my way towards it, just about to move to open it. When two shadows appeared behind me. I turned around, placing my hands on my hips.
"What?" Guy and Ted stood before both folded their arms. "We are on tough instructions from your father not to let anyone in there after the whole...incident this morning with the alchemist," Guy said, stepping forward."I appreciate your concern, but I have someone I need to return." I motioned to Ruddiger."Isn't that the alchemist's pet?" Ted pointed out."It is, and if you would be so kind as to open the door, please." I motioned, "Sorry, Cassandra-"I grabbed Ted by his arm, pinning him against the wall. Since he was the newest, it was easy to do so."When someone asks you kindly to open the door." I stared at him, making sure not to lose contact."You open the door." I continued his body trembling. Ted looked behind me for help. "Ok, fine," Guy exclaimed behind me. I let go of Ted's arm.
"Your funeral," Ted mumbled. I turned towards Guy. I extend my hand for the keys. He hesitantly put the keys in my hand. "Be careful, Cassandra; call us if you need backup.""I don't think that will be necessary, but thank you." I smiled over my shoulder as I inserted the keys; hearing the click, fear struck me. What if he wasn't there, what if he got out, what if-. Stop it, Cassandra. This is Varian we're talking about.
"Ok, Here we go." I heard the creak of the metal door as it swung open. I walked in, feeling the guard's eyes on my back. I began my walk down the long hallway toward the cell. The farther you got, the more dangerous the criminals were. I looked in both directions, seeing the faces of anger filled with complete guilt and sorrow on all I passed. I reached almost the end of the hall, hearing the voice I didn't want to hear now.
"Ah, my old flame coming to visit me at last." I sighed in annoyance. I turned to face Andrew. He sat on his cellar bed. Trying to give me a look through his giant mess of a bun. It stuck out in all places and almost looked like an afro.My laughter erupted. I snorted, "I can see your buns not doing you miracles." His "Charming" face turned into a look of anger. "Well, try doing your hair without a mirror."
"Oh, you poor sweet thing, can't get your hair done," I said teasingly."Well, what brings you to my lovely home." He motioned towards his cell."Sadly, I'm not here to see you. Please point me toward Varian's cell."Varian?""A dark-haired kid about fourteen," I said forcefully.He thought momentarily, "Oh, the new Kid...he's right over." He pointed to a cell at the end of the hall. I walked away from Andrew's cell towards Varian's."Hey, no goodbye, kiss." I rolled my eyes ket again.
I softly walked towards the cell. Fear of what I might see struck me. I looked through the bars. Seeing writings of such scribbled on the walls, even on the ceiling. I couldn't make out the words or sentences.A dark figure stood in the middle of the floor. If it weren't for the specks of sunlight, I would have never seen Varian there. My heart skipped a beat, realizing that it was Varian. He held his knees to his chest; his breathing was very shallow, with thousands of angry tears streaming down his face.
"Hello, Cassandra," he said, turning to face me. His pale eyes were weary, and his voice was filled with hostility and anger. "Hello, Varian," I responded."Why are you here." he spat.Ruddiger jumped off my shoulder. Gently making his way towards his Master. He brushed against his leg. Varian's hand moved to pet his back.His eyes moved to look down at his buddy."I figured you would want to see Ruddiger."
"Ok, you've done that, so leave." The word felt like a knife in my heart."Varian, I..."He stood up and erupted, causing Ruddiger to retreat under the bed in fear. He stared at me, his piercing blue eyes locking onto mine."I don't want to hear your disappointment in me, Cass. I already know what I have done is wrong in the eyes of Corona...But I don't regret a thing." He spat."I'm not disappointed in you, Varian, and I didn't come here to guilt trip you either." I paused, not sure If I could do this."Varian, I'm sorry." His eyes widened in unbelief."I should have been there for you during your pain. I wish to return time and have a redo with all my heart."I paused."Maybe you wouldn't be in here." His eyes seemed to get bigger with each word I spoke."You would probably be working on your clever invention right now. Maybe causing a little explosion or two." I smiled at that. Tears glistened in the corners of my eyes.I looked at Varian; his eyes softened briefly before turning into hatred.
"Rapunzel sent you, didn't she? She knew that you would make me soft.""No, she never sent me. I came here myself."
"Liar!"
"Varian-""Sure you did. And To think that I thought for a second you would listen to me, but to my amazement, you chose your position over me, ket again!"
"I am listening, Kid." His face grew serious."Then explain this to me? Why didn't Rapunzel come after the snowstorm?" He said straightforwardly. I stood there puzzled."I understand why Rapunzel didn't come when she did, but she could have come after." He paused for a little bit. There were tears in the corners of his eyes."I waited for her for 3 days before finally realizing Rapunzel never cared about me!" He yelled with tears streaming down his face."The only reason the Princess cared was because she thought I could give her answers about her stupid hair.""And ever since that went out the window. I've been out of the scene just like that." He clicked his fingers."No one cares about me. The only time anyone cares is when I do something destructive or serve in a way that is deemed useful."He moved closer. He stood just a few inches away. I saw now that his apron, gloves, and goggles were gone, making him seem more innocent.
"Sound familiar to you, Cass."He looked at me sincerely. "We are more alike than you realize, Cass. We both are servants to a higher power, and the only way we get attention is by destruction."He smiled mischievously."Cassie, I want you to join me. We can take revenge together.""What are you saying, Varian."He quickly took my hand. Pulling me as close as he could, our foreheads almost touching."Help me take over Corona."My face showed great shock. My face turned into complete disgust. Varian's eyes took in all my features. His anger blazed inside of him."Fine, you chose your side!"
He let go of my hand and retreated back into the cell. "I want you to give a message to Rapunzel that she will suffer for not keeping her promise, and I will see that the people of Corona suffer because of her miss deeds!"
"Varian, the people in Corona did nothing to you. Putting it on someone else isn't going to change a thing."His face turned slightly."I-don't-care at least I will get my revenge and...release my father." He said the last words softly as if it hurt the most to him to mention his father.He was never going to let his anger go. And if this was the path, he was crossing. I wasn't going to watch it."Ok, If that's what you think the answer is, then fine." I softly spoke with a hint of anger in my tone."I just hope you find what you're looking for...You have nothing left to lose." A Tear streamed down my cheek. "Why is that?" He gave a slight chuckle. I paused. "Because you just lost me." I turned, not bothering to look behind me. Knowing that when you let someone go, you NEVER look back.

***

I wanted to slump to the ground when she was out of sight. I felt tears pierce my cheeks. A feeling like I had lost everything spread in my chest. A sudden voice spoke in my head. She chose her side. She couldn't understand what it feels like to lose someone. I angrily brushed away my tears, ashamed that I had let her get the best of me."So you've been hurt by the same girl, huh?" said a mysterious voice ahead of me from another cell. I stood, moving to where the sound came from. I saw a middle-aged man in a messy bun sitting on a cell bed."Yeah, so?"
"What if I told you I could help you get revenge on the Princess." My eyes widened at the thought of revenge. A large smile spread on my lips." You got yourself a deal.