Captured

Present time:

The journey forward seemed like hours. The sun had slowly started to go and then went. As soon as the sun had disappeared, the moon had immediately replaced it in the sky instead of a gentle transition. It was strange for Varian to see such unnatural behavior for such Celestial sources. Varian had never been this far from Corona before; there seemed to be this pit of fear and this wave of excitement.
Juniper had stationed bodyguards around the boat, ensuring we wouldn't try to escape. She seemed completely out of sorts as she constantly stood off her left foot and occasionally clutched her arm when no one noticed. She had caught him staring a few times, resulting in a glare and him instantly turning away.
"Being stuck on this makeshift boat filled him with sudden questions and thoughts. Everything had happened so fast this morning he was simply gazing out the mirror. In the next, he was taken captive by the Saporians.
Where were we going?
How did Andrew and his gang of Saporians escape prison (and multiply like rabbits)?
What happened to Eugean and Rapunzel? Were they alright? What about the king and queen?
What about Dad?
I never should have run off like that. None of this could have happened. This is my fault.
Varian rummaged his fingers through his hair and leaned against the airship's side. Breathing heavily. Trying to get his blood flowing. He gripped the rail earnestly, noticing the tiny lights that danced below.
Varian breathed in once more.
I hope that everyone got away safely.
Varian's eyes turned to Cass, sitting cross-legged not far from him. If she had her sword with her, she would have been sharpening it. However, their weapons were immediately taken from them as soon as they reached magnitude. Cass wore a focused and troubled expression as if she were in some sort of trance.
What he couldn't understand was why she didn't want to attack. With them both, they could quickly have taken them...But then again, he could understand why she didn't want to take the risks after what happened last time.
Varian turned around and caught a glimpse of her. Her gaze was fixed on the ground. He had never had the chance to speak with her after their last encounter, and he suspected that she believed he didn't want to talk to her. But seeing her now, wearing the necklace he had given her, filled him with joy and made him realize she had forgiven him.
She lifted her head, Causing Varian to quickly turn back to the lights below. From the corners of his eyes, he saw a small smile spread on her lips. Cassandra suddenly rose from the ground and began to walk in my direction.
Varian turned back towards her, his elbow landing on the edge of the railing, trying to keep his cool. Watching as she made her way beside him.
"Hi, kid."
He breathed in profoundly, trying to make his voice sound more profound than before, "Hey...Cass."
"Whatever happened to Cassie?" She nudged Varian with her elbow.
Instantly releasing him from his 'cool' stature to rub his shoulder. "Well, I guess I just figured you probably..." He moved his rubbing hand to his neck. I do not really want to say the rest.
She smiled sadly, "Yeah." She leaned against the side of the boat and looked down at the lights.
The atmosphere seemed awkward. What should I say? Should I compliment her hair or something? I should have just gone along.
"So, what have you been up to, Varian?" she asked while gazing at the lights.
"Hm?" he quickly adjusted his position.
"Oh...well I got a job as the royal engineer of Corona. It's pretty great; I've gotten to create so many new inventions," she said as the wind blew her hair from side to side.
"I bet your dad's proud," Varian nodded lightly, a smile coming to his lips.
"What have you been up to?" Varian asked, raising an eyebrow at her. She rubbed her arm. "Well, that's a bit of a difficult question. It's been all over the place," she said, smiling lightly. She seemed like she was hiding something. Seemed like a touchy subject. Varian looked around again, hoping to find something to change the mood. Looking up at the stars, he was instantly mesmerized; they seemed similar to the standard constellations at home. But they look more accessible and lively out here.
"I had no idea how much was out here and how beautiful the sky can be." She looked up and smiled at the twilight sky.
"It's fantastic...sleeping under these stars is like a pair of wings that can take you anywhere with just one wish... it's wonderful.
Their eyes were pulled forward as sudden chatter rose over the crew, motioning to a sudden dark shape appearing before them. Varian turned to see something huge and blended quite well with the night. It looked familiar. We started to make a slow descent towards it. The nearer we got, the more normal it seemed.
"The Dark Kingdom?" Cassie said, confused.
We could see now that It was made out of dark rocks and shaped like a castle-like building. It reminded Varian of the structure Cass made.
I can't believe I used to live here; it felt so gloomy and isolated.
We made our way down. Seeing the giant doors come closer and closer.
Cassie's face suddenly changed from confusion to seriousness. She turned back to the Alchemist. "Varian, I want you to know that...whatever happens, know I got your back." She put her hand on my shoulder as she said it.
Varian smiled.
The boat suddenly began to rock back and forth as we landed. We heard footsteps creep behind us. We looked behind, and the bodyguards had appeared behind us. We looked back in front, seeing Kai. His smile was huge. He grabbed each of our hands, cuffing us to each other.
The deck extended down to the ground. We were pushed forward to get off, with everyone else following suit. The doors were magically opened wide.
Wow, how did they do that?
We walked in with two other guards coming to each of our sides. The interior was all black except for a few hints of dark blue. There was a tapestry of what looked to be aporia's history. Half of it was gone entirely. It only showed when King Herz der Sonne and General Shampaier were at war. The other half was gone when they proclaimed their love for each other, which caused the two kingdoms to come together. Which some of the Saprians obviously didn't want.
They entered the throne room, spotting the throne first off. Andrew stood on it comfortably. His legs swung over the side of the throne. A woman stood beside him. She had fiery red hair tied into a pony and tattoos lining her arms. Varian had no idea who this woman was, but he had a hunch that Cass knew her. Cassie's expression was full of complete anger.
"Who is that?" Varian whispered.
"That's Lady Caine; she attacked Corona on the day of Rapunzel's Coronation." She whispered back.
He looked around. The room was filled with many others, each carrying the Saporian crest. "Is Lady Cain also a Saporian?"
"No."
Then how in the world did they recruit this many people. The room buzzed with excitement as more and more people joined, smiling like they were fresh meat.
One of the guards moved in front of them and removed the cuffs from around their wrists. Seeing that there was no point in keeping it on with the view of many present.
Varian turned up, seeing Andrew's smile grow big. He stood and outstretched his arms. Causing the crowd to silence. "Awe, my old flame, so nice to see you again."
"The feeling's mutual." Cassie spat.
He looked a bit disappointed. "I've heard you met my fiancé, Lady Caine." He motioned to his fiancé beside him. She put her hands on her hips and placed a small kiss on his cheek.
"Listen, I would love to hear where you'll have your honeymoon, but let's get straight to the point. Where's the Royal family?" Cass said.
They both looked at each other evil-like. "Well, tell you they are safe for now as long as you cooperate."
Cassandra and Varian both looked at each other. She looked back up at the couple. "What do you want with us, Hubert?"
The smile reappeared on both Andrew's and Lady Caine's faces - not seeming any near bothered at the mention of his real name. He started walking towards us, with Lady Caine following closely behind. Cassie stood focused on Andrew, not daring to back down.
Cassandra's bravery has always been something Varian admired in her.
Cassie and Andrew's noses were almost touching. "I want you to tell me the moonstone and sundrop incantations."
"Never in a million-." He put a finger to her lips. "I wasn't finished." She whacked his hand away. "I also want you to interpret this." He pulled out an old piece of parchment from his coat and unraveled it, showing a paragraph of writing. It looked like Demantise's writing?
"What is that?" Varian asked.
"This is a piece of paper found in King Herz der Sonne's journal."
"But it was destroyed?" Varian exclaimed.
"No, it wasn't. Only the day of hearts pages were." Lady Caine answered.
What, how could that be? Unless...
"You didn't think we would take over Corona without looking into the journal we have constantly wanted to get our hands on for years."
"But we found something interesting with the help of Clementine." He motioned to the witch on his right with Juniper standing by her arms crossed with a slight smirk on her lips.
"We found that this holds the incantation to bring back the sun and the moonstones." The dream instantly came to Varian's head. Zhan Tiris's voice rang in his ears, 'You will be torn from the one who will wield the sundrop.'
"And then, with their help, we will finally see Corona burn." The room exploded in celebration, screaming, "BURN CORONA, BURN...BURN FOR CENTURIES!"".
Cassie moved too quickly for Varian to know how she got her sword. She held it up to Andrew's neck. The room went silent. "I suggest you put that down." Men suddenly came through the main door holding up...Dad!
He was gagged, his hands tied behind his back anxiously, trying to get loose. Cassie gently lowered the sword. The guard behind her took it angrily from her grip.
"You don't think I wouldn't bring leverage just in case you weren't willing to help me." He walked over to him.
"I swear you touch him!" Varian yelled.
"I'm not going to, but this will." He walked over to my Dad. Holding up a vial? "You might recognize this." Varian's blood froze as he held it up to the moonlight.
"No, stop. I'll translate it for you. Just don't. I couldn't bear it if.."
"I know you wouldn't; that's why I'm doing this?"
He poured it. All the blood in the Alchemist's veins seemed to be pulsing toxin. A beefy arm quickly grabbed Varian around his collar as he moved toward his father, bringing him in for a torturous hug. Varian watched and screamed in complete horror through the man's fighting grasp as the guards pushed him forward toward the orange flames. Memories of that awful day come back. The liquid-like solid began encircling him. His hand reached towards him. Varian muffled a scream through the man's rugged grip. Tears began to stream down his face. As he watched him take his last breath of air. Before it encased him completely.
The guy behind Varian let go as he saw the process was finished. Varian's legs gave way. Sending him to his knees. He could see Cass trying to escape the other guards' hold, but he was blank to the world, simply a memory of what had been.
"This shows you, Varian, that you shouldn't tell people your life story... The only way you'll free your father now is if you find out the destination of the moonstone." He held it in front of Varian. He waved it around like he was some sort of dog wanting to play fetch.
Varian peered up darkly at him, making him see the resentment in my eyes. To Varian's shook, he laughed. "Consider this payback, Traitor."
Lady Caine walked up from behind him and suddenly grabbed Varian's chin. Making sure my reflection was taken entirely in hers. "For what it's worth, kid. I never agreed to this. In fact, I was against it...but to right a wrong. You must make a wrong right."
"That's terrible." Her eyes fell, letting go with that one sentence, leaving a piercing pain. Andrew moved with his hand, motioning the guard to take the prisoners.
As Varian and Cassandra passed through the main doors, there were sounds of screams or was it cheers. Varian couldn't quite tell. He could only picture his father's form encased in the golden ember once more. It didn't feel real. And it left the Alchemist numb. It felt even worse than before.
Before they knew it, they stood face to face with a cell made out of black rocks. A guard beside the cell pushed it open. Varian hit the cold stone floor like a sake of potatoes, though Cass simply stumbled, her hands reaching for the door. The guards quickly closed it. The cell door slammed against her face as she plummeted back down to the floor. The guards chuckled and slowly walked away. She kicked and punched it, trying to break free. She kicked one last time, completely exhausted, and slumped to the floor next to the Alchemist.
Varian felt his mind slipping. He had failed to protect his father. And he had let him down so many times...why again. And why like this.
A sudden embrace crossed over him, causing a part of him to freak out, but then softened as he accepted her hug.
"Varian, don't worry, we will free your father...I promise." The image of Rapunzel came to Varian's mind. And he felt warm tears stream down his cheek. Judging a grasping of anger from those untruthful words
"As long as he's still alive, there is still hope. He is not gone, Varian." My anger melted, knowing that what she said was true.
"You're right, Cassie." Varian brushed away a few tears. Cass loosened her embrace. Her face looked surprised at first, but soon, it turned into a smile at having said her old nickname.