⋘2⋙ Isolated Temple

[Year of Méiguī Lóng, Century of Luòrì]

As soon as Xue Hua detached herself from the swarm of bodies, she felt a gust of air rise from the ground until off in the distance, a ring of turquoise light shone through cracks in the permafrost. Swirls formed on the ice and the longer she waited, she witnessed the formation of a spell circle. Cautiously, Xue Hua crept towards the formation radiating negative energies, having second thoughts when she was within an arm's length of the glowing symbol. When she turned to rush back to her friends, Fifteenth's foggy breath fanned her neck.

In the dark he was a large shadow and the fur coat he wore made him look like a deadly beast living in this equally deadly land. The immortal brushed his friend's face with a numbed finger, his breathing choppy and deep. He groaned, "Xue Hua, I am sorry. I cannot come with you and keep my promise to you but I am sure you will be fine on your own. Remember to always watch your back."

Xue Hua blinked, not quite understanding the solemn tone of his voice - until a large hand pressed her chest, right beneath the clavicle. A piercing gale drowned the frantic voices of her peers. Desperately reaching out to grip his arm, she knew she was falling in deep. Before the goddess went under, a flash of bright light illuminated Fifteenth's crestfallen face. Did he not want to push her into the circle? The last thing she saw was his expression that looked like it belonged on a happy lizard.

Then, there was nothing. No trees consumed by thick sheets of smooth ice, no slippery paths or patches of ice under fresh snow and no sign of life. Thoughts and questions raced through Xue Hua's mind while her arms cut through a thick darkness. Like where she was just moments ago, she found that it was impossible to teleport or use her abilities. It was bleak and possibly unnaturally frigid but she could not tell.

Xue Hua only knew that she was somehow standing on her feet and out of fear of making one wrong move, she stayed where she was. Even when the aroma of incense wrapped around her and even when she thought a feathered wing sliced her cheek. Despite standing as still as a statue, she felt her shoes slide and her legs gave beneath her. The sound of her palm smacking against hard ice echoed through wherever this place was. Hissing, the lost goddess pushed herself so she was sitting upright.

After three breaths, light bloomed, almost blinding Xue Hua after her eyes adjusted to the dark. Pushing herself to look up, her crystalline eyes studied a gargantuan lantern that looked godly. Hanging from ice-caked silver chains was a cylindrical object. The lantern that should be made from paper seemed to be created from the Universe's coldest ice that took the shade of sapphire gems. Sprinkled around the edges should be large beads of Celestial Sea's salt and hanging from the bottom are icicles of varying lengths.

The peculiar lamp drew the goddess to it like fire lures moths. Curious to see it from directly under, Xue Hua barely took notice of the raised platform she had to mount. She also ignored the sky blue wood beneath her shoes, polished with a thin layer of clear ice. Her head tilted upwards and her ruby red lips parted in awe. Inside the icy container a multi-coloured flame raged, long tongues licking what must be briny ice. It was the Eternal Flames Method, an ancient fire lost to the Universe for so long it became a legend.