⋘1⋙ Into the Dead Land

[Year of Méiguī Lóng, Century of Luòrì]

Heavy footsteps thundered through North Academy as a group of immortals stormed through the school's corridors. Gaunt faces lit up at the sight of open, welcoming arms and armoured scholars allowed themselves to sink into their friend's arms. Frantic strides became steady steps and a massive wave of immortals rushed towards the dining hall. All students were eager to exchange information - returning students spoke of their adventures while their friends slapped metal breastplates with schoolwork.

This group of students had been sent to communicate with the main inhabitants of Heise, better known as Demons. It was a perilous journey they had to make with their leader, the school's most powerful and prized student. She should have joined her peers but no one gave invitations before someone approached her first. Having been stopped short by this someone, the ace raised a snow white eyebrow that looked like a pair of frosted feathers.

"Xue Hua, I am deeply remorseful for having to put you in such a difficult position but please, if you will, listen to me?" An old immortal donning regal clothing reached out with his gnarled hands weathered by centuries of existence. In his free hand was a wooden staff which he will use as a walking stick if the next few days go according to his plan. "I know you have just come back from communicating with those horribly despicable Demons of Heise and you have barely caught your breath but there is something else you must do."

The man grasped pale hands as ancient eyes bore into crystalline eyes the colour of clouded glass beads. Sprouting from the imploring immortal's sharp chin was a long beard the colour of dirty snow. Despite wearing smart clothing, his disheveled hair betrayed the clean appearance of an esteemed person. This is Master Bai of North Academy, one of the top ten schools of Tiantang, the ethereal realm of Heavenly Beings. A grey eyebrow quirked upwards and his boots scraped splintered floorboards.

Rushing through the school's corridors was a fierce wind that gripped spines, releasing only once a goddess passes, leaving a trail of snow behind her steps. Fabric swished around the woman's legs, easily resembling the magnificent tails of betta fish. Like a cape fluttering in the wind, her silver hair reached to whip an alabaster pillar. Crimson lips formed a thin line until the trail of snow stopped forming and melted altogether. Snowy eyebrows furrowed and a slender finger pressed against the grandmaster's forehead.

"Master Bai, you know I am like your daughter - there is no need to beat around the bush with me. Signing the treaty and teleporting back are not enough to make me tired since I have always accompanied you to battles." Xue Hua's cherry red lips released to become full and the renowned killer of males. After the cold gusts of wind died, the goddess dropped to kneel before her adoptive father. She held up two hands as if to receive his royal order. "Tell me what I shall do and it will be done when it is done."

"Rise, my child. Come, we shall discuss this further in my study because there are open eyes and ears everywhere. This task is not suitable for the ears of outsiders, do you understand?" The school's leader grinned, cupping Xue Hua's face in his calloused hands. His dark eyes were gleaming like a vulture's and yet, they were Xue Hua's favourite pair of eyes in the whole Universe. The emotion swirling in them could be adoration and that was all Bai would let his eyes betray. The teacher treated the young goddess better than anyone else as if he had birthed her himself.