⋘3⋙ His True Nature

[Year of Méiguī Lóng, Century of Luòrì]

"We are gathered here today to pay tribute to our fallen friends, students and family. It is with a heavy heart that I present these memorial tablets without being able to prepare bodies. What should have been a brief expedition has come to this." Master Bai started to unfurl hanging scrolls, removing ribbons to let paper fall to the hall's floor. Carefully written on each canvas was a name, date of birth, date of death, titles and a personal message from the school's grandmaster. On the last day of vigil, these scrolls shall be burned.

Thousands of incense sticks had been burned for more than a day while hundreds of immortals gathered in North Academy's funeral hall. Grieving parents lamented the early deaths of their children, crying for they have outlived their children and will live for years to come. Former lovers both male and female cclutched promise items close to their hearts, standing with the parents to comfort each other.

Eyes were focused on the raised platform that would usually hold coffins if the hall was ever used. For the last two days, however, a table displaying fourteen pieces of wood faced the crowd. Intimidating like an emperor on his throne, listening to the wails and grievances of his people yet gloating for he had control over them. The whole room fell silent. Even energetic children stood with fragrant sticks in their hands.

Windows have been shut tight and thicker curtains block sun rays from glittering through glass panes. Gloom stuck to bodies, following each one like a relentless shadow. North Academy was always a relatively safe place and unlike larger teaching institutions the school has not observed a mass funeral in centuries yet everything changed after Xue Hua was sent to the mysterious land of death. Only she and Fifteenth survived the 'expedition'. And so, the leader was blamed upon her arrival.

Even now, a few days later, harsh glares cut through the air to pierce the woman standing at Master Bai's right hand. She gripped itchy robes forced upon her by traditions and spiteful immortals. It was an outdated tradition but North Academy put it into use for this particular event. As the group's leader, Xue Hua should have ensured their safe return but under her watch, fourteen lives were lost. Despite being exhausted from that day's events, many rushed over to demand the donning of Mortality Cloth.

Chips of wood and strands of hay have been puncturing the High Snow Goddess' body with every movement she made. When it was her turn to offer incense sticks, a disgruntled sigh rose from the front row. Families of her peers curled their lips while forcing themselves to watch the goddess pay tribute. Ever since that day, she had fallen out with relatives of her former friends. She still considered them her friends and behind closed doors, she raged due to the fact that she could not retrieve their bodies.

Fifteenth was seated in a corner and when Xue Hua sunk fourteen sticks into a large urn filled with golden sand, his expression changed slightly. Before he could do anything a screech tore through the hall and moments later, his friend was walking off the stage with blood dripping down the sides of her face, over her eyes like two bloody falls. Despite being temporarily paralyzed, the man clenched his fists and took note of who threw a porcelain vase at the goddess.