⋘4⋙ The Winter God

[Year of Méiguī Lóng, Century of Luòrì]

"May I know your name? I would have remembered someone like you if I ever attended a social event with you around but I have been feeling that you are not from Tiantang. You look like you are a citizen of Heise but your dark energy does not align with the aura of Demons. How is that so?" As far as she knew through experiences and her recent trip to the realm of Demons, there was only one type of dark magic just like there was one type of light magic. Instead of feeling an irrational fear, she felt a comforting intimidation. Xue Hua kicked a marble pebble as they trekked over a stretch of pure marble that might have been polished. "Your energy makes me feel safe but I am also wary of you."

With his arms around her back, the man guided her to the safest spots for footing. When she fell for the first time he had offered to carry her in his arms yet as expected, she declined using the excuse that a man should not touch a woman, even more so if she was somehow betrothed to another. The shadowy immortal cracked a grin thinking about Winter God. It would be a huge hock to him if the god did not allow him to touch the goddess of snow.

"I understand but are you sure it is not because of my beauty? Ah, you would have remembered someone as handsome as me but no, we have never been in the same room together yet." The man paused to dip his head low, a form of greeting someone if one's arms are occupied. "My name is Qi Pian and I was the messenger sent by Winter God. I forgot my duties for about one thousand years but I came eventually. I do not know whether you are lucky or cursed to have been carefree for an extra one thousand years. You know, Winter God has been waiting for you longer than you think."

The Winter God she didn't know existed before she was deceived into showing herself to him? The same Winter God who came into her life and uprooted it without having to show his face? He also killed her friends and for that among many other reasons, she would not accept him easily. Other women may marry their betrotheds a fortnight after discovering the deal but Xue Hua would never submit to someone as despicable and mysterious as this god. He also sent someone else to collect her as if she was a box of food from a restaurant.

The comparison made her skin crawl like a centipede. Her glossy eyes focused on the dipping sun and for a while, she could see the Crystal Mountains although they were just small triangles in the horizon. She was not cold but her instincts told her to wrap the red cape around her shoulders as close to her body as possible. There was barely any time to admire its intricate designs before she was rushed by Qi Pian while she was donning the fresh clothes using a simple spell.

Qi Pian, she knew his name now and this piece of information sent more chills down her spine. In the corner of her eyes she saw his sharp jawline, wondering if it was natural or if it was a deformation. The more she looked, she had to admit when he proudly pointed out his looks, he was not lying. Despite having no experience with ogling at men like her peers, Xue Hua appreciated his dark aesthetic and overall handsomeness.