Chapter Five

Bisi paused the tape and rubbed her eyes.

"Did you catch anything?"

"Nothing yet," she answered Mez.

"Can I have my bottle of peanuts back? I know you took it."

"Didn't," she lied.

"Did. You're buying the next."

"In your fucking dreams, asshole."

Bisi was always unnecessarily rude to Mez. It just made the thought of an affair more unlikely to the watching eyes, no one in the office suspected a thing and she liked it that way. Deep down, she was ashamed of what she was doing with Mez but she couldn't stop so she put the thought aside.

She played the tape and focused on catching something out of place. Mez got her attention at some point and she went over to his desk. He carelessly caressed the hand she placed on his table as he showed her a figure. She looked from his hand to the occupied cubicles around them before gently detaching her hand.

"Did you see that?" he asked.

"Yes, just a stranger walking by."

"Keep watching."

Bisi squinted as she watched the stranger walk away before a mini bus came into view. The driver's door opened and someone in all black came out, the person went round the bus and spent about five minutes before getting back into the bus. The camera wasn't facing that angle so they couldn't tell exactly what went on at the other side.

"See that?" Mez asked pointing towards the unmoving body on the screen.

"Zoom in, please," Bisi requested.

Mez zoomed in and they saw the body laid out. Bisi sat back in her chair before picking a red marker and going over to write on the glass wall. She drew a circle and added a dot in the middle and wrote 'body' underneath it.

"This means the body was moved," she observed. "We found it in the middle of the car park but it was dumped close to the drainage, we need to keep watching."

Mez took note of the time stamp before resuming the video. After an hour interval, they saw a bus stop close to the body. The driver got out along with the conductor and they both moved the body.

"Fuck! Why would they do that?" Bisi tossed the red marker on the table. They had processed the wrong scene.

Mez paused the tape. "Remain calm. We'll find them."

"I need to give these tapes to Jonah ASAP. We need the plate numbers on the two buses and I need the video sharpened to see all the details he can get."

Bisi logged into her system and e-mailed the tapes to Jonah who worked at the crime lab. He promised to send her details in few hours.

"We'll go back to the original crime scene tomorrow," Mez said.

Bisi nodded and turned on the tv attached to the wall. The newscaster was talking about the murder. Mez groaned when she said the police were yet to find a suspect.

"The commissioner is definitely going to light up our asses for this. How does she have so much information?"

"Same way they always get it. Let's just close the case, doesn't seem that hard."

"It's three, let's pay Mrs. Doyin a visit already." Mez stood and arranged his desk.

"Aren't we calling ahead?"

"No."

Bisi strapped on her taser and gun then went to the car with Mez. He got her ice cream on their way to the victim's house and the warm fuzzy feeling creeped up from her core. No man had ever looked after her before and that was why it was so hard to think of letting him go. She had resigned herself to faith, it didn't matter whether he left his wife or not as long as they were happy together in the stolen moments.

"Are you going home tonight?" Mez questioned.

"Depends," she simply said. Bisi busied herself with cleaning any ice cream residue off her fingers and face. 

"How early do you think we can solve this case?"

"You know I never guess but if your intuitions are right, the wife should let something slip."

"We shall see."

She gave him a reassuring smile. Murder was foul to all the parties involved, it disrupted lives and made weariness creep in too easily.