Chapter Seven

By the time Bisi got home, her mom was still and tv crooned as an old sitcom played. She joined her on the sofa after taking off and securing her gun strap.

"Why are you still up?" she asked after they hugged.

"Was waiting for you."

"You don't have to wait for me, you know that. Is everything okay?"

"I'm just thinking about your father."

Bisi sighed when she noticed her mom had been crying. Her dad recently passed away and she hadn't known him enough to care or attend the funeral. He'd had his mistress dump their love child on the doorstep of his matrimonial home several years ago. And here she was calling the woman who had raised her despite the circumstances her mother. 

"What's so special about him, anyway? He doesn't deserve your tears." She should hate him but her mom didn't and it continued to surprise her. Bisi's indifference was expected, she had let go of the longing she used to feel as a child. 

"I know he doesn't but I can't stop myself. If you had met your father, you'd understand. He was a good man, he just had lots of demons."

"So do we all but you don't see us procreating and running for the hills."

"He gave me what my heart desired, that was how selfless he was." 

Her mother had a different point of view and Bisi was too tired to see how delusional she sounded. "Did you attend the funeral, mom?"

"No," she said smartly then wiped her tears.

"Mom?"

"Okay, I did. So what?"

"Nothing. I'm tired and I'm going to turn in." 

"Goodnight," she whispered like she was tired herself. 

Bisi took her belt and boots then went to her room. Her mom was going to keep crying over him no matter what she said. She'd suspected that she still held a torch for him but had shrugged the feeling off. She should have known he was the reason she never paid attention to the older men who showed interest in her.

Bisi took the thought off her mind as she took her bath and laid in bed afterwards. Her thought instead went towards the killer's direction. She got an email from Mez as she was about to sleep and she opened it on her tablet. It was the result from the medical examiner and it gave a different spin on things. The Vic had been drugged but the medical examiner's conclusion said it was possible it wore off before the assault on his genital. There was bruising and flaking on the neck from being restrained but he died from blood loss from the deep cuts on his thighs and genital.

Bisi FaceTimed Mez as soon as she skimmed the report halfway. "Got your e-mail, boss. He died from blood loss."

"Yea. That is from the slashing on his genital and thighs. If you read further, it says the object used was a serrated knife."

"I haven't gotten to that part yet."

"The killer was passionate obviously and I suspect it's a pro job. The knife used is very common, in fact I have it in my own house which means we're dealing with someone smart. His body was also cleaned and disinfected, premeditated obviously. The site they picked to dump the body was also well thought out. It doesn't feel like a crime of passion and if it was, it was most definitely planned and executed well."

Smart killers were the worse, they almost always got away with the killings because they planned and experimented for years and thought of all possibilities. "If it's too thought out to be a crime of passion then the killer can't be a partner."

"I'm not ruling out that possibility yet."

 "We need to see the Vic's friends tomorrow and visit the real crime scene. Something has to give eventually."

"Yea, it's still early though but I'm confident that we'll get something. There's a slip up somewhere, we just don't know where yet."

"With the media watching closely, we have to solve this thing quickly."

"At first, I thought it was going to be an open and shut case but I'm starting to doubt that. I'm always up for the challenge, I wish it didn't involve a dead body though."

Bisi nodded in agreement and said, "I'm looking for that slip up you talked about, Mez."

"How's your mom," he asked, changing the subject.

"She's fine. I'll see you tomorrow, goodnight."

"The wife and the kids said hi," Mez reported before she could end the call.

"My regards to them also."

Bisi ended the call and fell into a slumber.