Chapter Nine

Same MO, different victim. When her beeper went off and Mez phoned her a minute later, she knew what to expect. She was only ever called in for homicides. What she wasn't expecting was a replica of the case still giving her sleepless nights.

Bisi had counted on it being a one time crime, it was less than likely but sometimes one hoped. Two of the same killings in a single month was too much for everyone. The press would hound their asses, the governor would call a meeting, her mother would keep talking about how she was in the wrong profession. Add the general public panicking and spreading rumours and it became a fucking pandemic with no viral disease in this case.

She longed for the aspirin in the squad car as she squatted close to the body with a torchlight. He was mid thirties and fine looking. In death, his face was perfect and still. This was someone who took his appearance seriously, even with the absence of clothes, his spotless face and well groomed hair conveyed sharpness. She wanted to somehow comfort him, no one deserved to go this way but murder was a nasty business.

He had been found by a late night jogger and Bisi could still hear her wails as she was asked where she lived. She knew she wouldn't be getting any sleep that night or the next, her life was disrupted and possibly unhinged just by accidentally discovering a murder victim. The image would probably stay with her forever, it was a traumatising event and Bisi mentally noted to assign a junior officer to her for few days.

As she thought about that, she remembered her mom and  quickly sent a text about staying late at the station for the next few days. When the body was finally moved, Mez came to her side.

"You okay?"

She shook her head. "What did you find?"

"Vic works 9-5 at KPMG. He finished from work and hit the gym, he was on his way home when he got unlucky."

"Family?"

"Married with two kids. Wife works in another city and comes home during the weekend. His phone was ringing nonstop, wife threatened officer until she was told her husband couldn't come to the phone because he was dead."

"Bad marriage?"

He shrugged. "Maybe hot headed wife. She said kids were waiting for their father to come home and that was why she kept calling. Apparently, husband is a recovering alcoholic."

"Who's with the kids now?"

"Wife called the neighbor. I've sent someone down there just to make sure the kids are safe. What did you find out?"

"MO is exactly the same as the one from weeks ago except for the phone. We didn't find a phone for the first victim."

"Copy cat?"

"I think not but we'll have to wait for the report from the M.E. I hope this doesn't become a thing. If we have a serial killer on the loose, what's triggering them because there hasn't been a case like this in this area."

"Some people bury their trauma until they can't control it anymore. Something must have happened to totally send her over the edge."

His statement made her pause. "Her? When did you decide a female was doing this?"

"I'll explain on our way to the station. It's going to be a long night."

Bisi got in the car with Mez and waited for his explanation while he drove.

"It's pretty obvious though. No guy would kill another guy like that."

"Even if it's a hired gun?"

"Yea. Why split a penis when you can slash the neck or pump bullets into the chest? It's personal on a different level, maybe she doesn't know this men but I think she sees them as a particular person."

"First, guns are hard to get but you're right, a pro wouldn't have difficulty getting one. Your assessment seems spot on because why these men? Apart from being family men, they seem so different."

"We need a profile."

Mez wasn't just a policeman, he was a graduate of psychology and she couldn't wait for him to see a pattern. "I'm following."

She had known from the first victim that a woman did it. The killing was simply too passionate and she'd concluded that it was personal but the second killing made it obvious that it wasn't as personal as she thought.