Hope To Die [Georgina x Darling]

a/n: The illustration for this short story is by my friend Caro! (TheSearchingAstronaut)

summary: In an alternate fantasy, Georgina and Arden hail from Russian aristocrats with a duty to their nation: to unite France and Russia. Darlene Lavier is born into French royalty, but her devil of a younger brother, Alexandre, is set to inherit the throne. After killing their parents and arranging a marriage with Arden-who has her own ulterior motives-, Alexandre seizes control of Darling's life. Will Georgina be able to save her from her psychotic brother's control?

Also features the Bradshaw crew as royal guards and attendants to King Alexandre, including Rosalie as captain of the guard, Joanna as a guard, Blake Miles as a butler, and Lennie as an ambassador.

WARNING: Gore, major character death, Arden Dodge, Lennie content

Darlene Lavier had spent the better part of her adolescence in the shadow of her psychotic brother. Despite being the older sibling, Darling's accomplishments were swept aside in order to focus on the bleaker side of her family that rued the day her brother would ascend to the thrown.

Alexandre Lavier was the sole heir and the love and bane of Darling's existence. She could, in a way, say that the feeling was mutual, only Alexandre had more prevalent ways of showing when, exactly, Darling wasn't in his favor.

It started with the death of their parents in the palace coup.

———

Georgina Saber heard it all second-hand through France's diplomatic envoy. Ever since the French diplomacy encouraged the coup in hopes of exterminating Alexandre Lavier, she hardly felt inclined to entertain the fool. It infuriated her beyond belief that Arden Kuznetsov, the pride and joy of Russia—or rather, Georgina Saber—could even smile in the face of that rat bastard.

She watched from her superior's side, hands clasped behind her back. She had spent the better part of the day in that same room with everyone who pulled her милая by the strings. Everyone who would tell Arden precisely what she should and shouldn't do.

"Keeping King Alexandre on the throne will divert attention from us. And if the person to keep him there is me, so be it," Arden said, turning her nose up. "I've dealt with far worse people than a psychotic toddler."

Georgina grimaced and, deep down, she knew Arden recoiled at the prospect. The proposal was anything but surprising, however. Several months had passed since Alexandre's loyalties reared their ugly heads and hug the king and queen by their necks. The only family King Alexandre had left was Darlene Lavier, of which Georgina knew little about.

The little she did know, however, was Darlene's peculiar charm and unanimously beauty. The last time she and Arden visited France, Darlene wasn't present. Arden's little birds declared the girl confined to her living quarters during their extended stay.