20

WHEN I WOKE UP THE next morning at ten Nicole was sleeping on the window seat. I went to the bathroom and took a shower when I came back she was hoping all around on one boot looking for the other one. She was a mes with crooked eyeliner and smudged mascara , she was in a hurry.

"why the hell didn't you wake me up?" she asked me.

"I didn't know I had to wake you up," I replied

"What ever,"

" Are you going somewhere I mean it is Saturday so no classes I guess?" I asked suddenely curious.

"Yes I am going to work any problems?" she replied as though it was the most obvious thing, maybe it was.

"You work?" I asked

"Of course I work at McDonalds, making people their crappy sandwiches and all,"

"Oh... okay,"

"If I sleep in from now on can you please wake me up?" she asked me putting on her coat as it was still a little cold outside.

"Ya sure,"

"Okay thank you...bye,"

And with that I had my first ever conversation with my roommate who to be honest is not that bad.

It is a Saturday but I didn't go home because I just can't run back I have to settle down and what happened last night I am more than releuctant to go.

I open up my laptop after having breakfast and start off with my writing assignment. I check the date 19th March I still have 11 more days to turn in my assignment to Mrs. Cooper on 31st of March. Oh no, 19th March which means that tomorrow will be 20th; Lisa's birthday.

I don't hae time to buy anything and when I get a cheerful email at seven in th evening from her inviting me to her little party I know I have to go.

I search frantically around my room looking for something, anything to give her. I even asked Nicole who didn't have anything relevant other than a crystal bowl that her aunt gave her. She was ready to give it to me but obviously, I refused. It is her gift precious enough to be a trinket and she was ready to let go of it for me, how could I have misunderstood her.

But by the end of the day I found something more special than any gift to give her.