21

THE NEXT DAY WHEN I knocked on the door of Amy and Lisa's dorm room, Amy opened it fully exhilarated to see me. I arrived a little early to help with the preparations. As all three of us hung streamers in silence, I began to feel as though things could be mended between us and thankfully no one bought up the subject of our little fight.

By three in the afternoon guests began to arrive. It was a small and simple party and Amy, I and two of Lisa's friends from her classes came. Nathan from math also came and Amy invited a friend of her.

It was a nice little party. We listened to soft music and ate Lisa's birthday cake (chocolate with vanilla icing). After a few rounds of thruth and dares Lisa opened up her gifts.

The birthday cake was a gift from Amy while Nathan gave her a little photo frame. Her two friends gave her key chains and a little mirror beautifully embodied by sea shell all around. Amy's friend gave her a bottle of expensive cologne. I waited until everyone went to give Lisa my gift when the last person (Nathan) went there were only three of us left alone just like old times. I made Lisa and Amy sit on their bed and then I sat beside them I turned to Lisa and said." I am sorry I was not able to get you a gift."

"No problem sweetheart you came and tha-" she began but I interrupted her.

"I bought you something more special, something I made myself,"

"I would love to see it,"

" Promise me you wont break my heart and that we will remain friends till the very end , you too Amy,"

They both piped up their promise. So I started with my little speech:

"It was ninth grade and I was sitting alone on a swing she came to me and I didn't notice her but I did hear that she said a "Hey," before she began really talking to me. I was feeling lonely and like an outcast but she helped me a great deal at that time by making friends with me and by introducing me to a friend. We all grew close to one another without any of us even knowing it."

I broke off after this to see their reactions and Amy was smiling while Lisa had little tears in her eyes.

"I wrote you a song,"

"Go on,"

"The song "Hey!" is my first ever song I have ever written, it's my first ever song I have ever dedicated. It is the first song that I wrote for someone specifically. Thus the girl who said "Hey!" is my first friend, my first song, my first dedication, my first secret keeper she is truly my first everything."

At this Lisa had started crying and Amy rested her head on my shoulders. I picked up Nicole's guitar that I bought along, found the right tune and cleared my throat.

"To my first everything,

When I was afraid and gay,

Afraid of what others will say,

You came to me that day,

You said, "Hey!"

You were the first friend

I had then.

You will be the last till our

ways bend.

We may then meet each other

after years and years,

But how can I forget

those first words you said.

That "Hey!" which brought me

out of my shell.

You never left me alone,

never flickered ,

never hesitated.

Always by my side.

You always loved me

no matter what.

I will always love you no

no matter what.

I will always remember your

first words to me.

That "Hey!" which bought me

out of my shell.

Which brought us together.

You were the first friend

I had then.

You will be the last till our

ways bend.

We may then meet each other

after years and years,

But how can I forget

those first words you said.

That "Hey!" which bought me

out of my shell.

Which brought us together.

As I was singing this song to Lisa I let myself sway with the music and my sweet, melodious voice. If there is something in the world that I am proud of, it is my voice. I, while singing this, remembered all the time we spent together and how I just so easily am letting a small fight break this all. By the end I was also tearful

"That was beautiful... the best thing I have ever heard... the best of all the gifts, no offence Amy... oh god I love you Catherine, thank you so much...I can't believe someone wrote it for me." Lisa said this between hiccups as I finished the song while hugging me fiercely.

"I am so sorry for spoiling everything in the breakfast hall , I understand that you guys can do things without me-"

"I only laughed because Amy laughed and Amy laughed because the guy behind you dropped his milk carton on the table, it was never really about us." Lisa told me and I believed her because she was telling the truth and I know it.

"I can't believe that such a small misunderstanding started to grow us apart," Amy said and after that all three of us lost our heads as we hugged and cried until we were lying on the floor. I stayed with them all night.