8. A New Nickname for the Great P

I ended up in front of a bare wall, with no other way around.

A Dead-End.

I had been so disturbed by this strange lady that I found myself lost in this mysteriously huge and unfamiliar building.

-"Excuse me, Sir! Do you perchance know where to find the training room?"

I froze. Sir? It was so unusual to hear someone calling me with such politeness and courtesy, especially here, in this infernal establishment that some call headquarters, that I thought whoever spoke a few seconds ago wasn't addressing me.

I simply ignored the question and continued searching for another way out.

-"Umm, hello? Do you know a way to get to the..."

-"I heard you the first time, fellow. You don't need to ask twice. I'm not deaf. Nor blind for that matter. I'm completely fine. My health is perfect; thank you very much! If one more person says anything about me being half-witted or malfunctioning, I will pull them by their hair and throw them headfirst out of the nearest window!" I exploded.

I threw a quick look at the poor boy, who was staring at me wide-eyed and mouth-agape as if I had grown a second pair of ears. He was in his early twenties, had brown, curly hair, and an innocent glint in his caramel eyes.

-"Oh, dear," I said with a loud sigh. "I did it again, didn't I?" I asked the guy, who, on second glance, didn't seem so afraid anymore.

-"I have no idea what you're talking about, but I agree with you on everything, because I do not want to get thrown out of any window."

-"Oh! Sorry about that. I got a bit carried away because of some... Nevermind, it's nothing. So you're new here too? What's your name?"

Relief flashed in his eyes, and in an instant, any sign of hesitation or skepticism vanished from his face. Warmth and amiability spread over his features, and suddenly, he looked much more friendly and easy-going.

-"I'm Lucas, and yes, I'm a beginner; I arrived here yesterday, but I didn't get time to check my surroundings much, which is why I'm lost at the present moment. But thank goodness, I finally found someone that can help me! Or at least I hope so..."

Bless this guy.

He was considering depending on me for something he wasn't able to do alone!

I admit, I already liked this chap.

He was a nice, smart boy who chose wisely whom to follow. I made a mental note to myself to spend some quality time with him, seeing how considerate, bright, and well educated he was.

-"Well then, Lucas, you couldn't wish for a better guide to come across. I know the way. Follow me!" I said, stomping past him and marching off to the training room.

-"Woah! How is it possible that you already know where it is? You're acting like you've been in this place for quite a while now!"

-"Oh, no. I arrived approximately an hour ago, but Amanda gave me a note on which she had written the directions to the training room just before leaving to join her meeting."

-"You met Amanda! That's so cool, man! She's like super-known here! Everyone loves her!"

-"Really? You know, there's this one new person who's kind of an exception. You see, this fellow told me that he wasn't so fond of her, because of the way she treats him. And if I'm not mistaken, I distinctly remember him saying that he really, really, can't stand her."

-"Well, I'm telling you, this guy, whoever he is, is not right in his head."

I pressed my lips so tight they might have become practically non-existent.

Breath, I told myself.

Inhale, exhale. Inhale, exhale. 

Take a deep, deep breath.

"He's a nice, bright young man, remember?" my inner voice reminded me.

-"You kept in mind what I told you earlier, right? About what happens if one more individual insults me?"

-"Yes! They will be thrown out of the window! I could never forget something like this. But why did you- Oh."

-"Indeed."

-"So you're the guy who doesn't like her?"

-"Aye. Couldn't have formulated it better myself."

-"But why?"

-"Stop asking so many questions, boy! That is none of your business. Didn't your mother teach you to restrain yourself? Being nosy is a bad habit. Don't do it again."

-"Oh. Sorry."

-"It's because of her insufferable personality."

Stunned, he turned to look at me, raising his eyebrows inquisitively.

-"I thought you didn't want to tell me."

-"I thought that too. But you're a good kid."

-"Hey! I'm not a kid! I'm turning 21 in five days!"

-"Happy early birthday. But you're still a kid."

-"Yeah, whatever. Oh, look! The training room!" He exclaimed, pointing at a door at the end of the passageway. And next to that door, written in bright, shiny letters, were the words: TRAINING ROOM." We've arrived!"

 -"You're welcome," I declared, triumphantly.

 -"I know! I'm going in. You're welcome too, by the way." 

 -"I didn't mean... You know what? Forget it," I sighed, and together, we pushed the door open and stepped into the room.

I'll give you three guesses as to who greeted me when we entered.

You still haven't found out? No worries, the sentence that reverberated next in the chamber left no doubt about the identity of the speaker.

-"Blind guy! It's good to see you again! Come! Come and join us, you and your friend over there."

I stared at Emmanuelle Rousseau, horrified. She was my coach?

My day couldn't possibly go worse.

-"Blind guy!? Seriously? You couldn't think of a better nickname, huh?" I exclaimed. "People used to call me The Great P, or even Paul the Magnificent. But Blind Guy? That was so highly uncreative of you. I must say, I'm quite disappointed," I ended, shaking my head dramatically.

She looked as if she had been hit by a rock. She goggled at me in total disbelief, completely taken aback by the little remark I made.

Swallowing hard, she managed to smile at me through the vigorous and unyielding pain she was enduring at the moment and said:

-"Oh! Where are my manners? Paul, dear, let me introduce you to the four trainees that will be working with you in the next lessons. Guys, this is Paul René, a recent acquaintance of mine, who just arrived at the base. Paul, meet Francesco, James, and Zoe. And I assume you already met Lucas, who is the youngest in the group.

-"And who are you, Miss?" asked Lucas.

-"Emmanuelle Rousseau, and it's a pleasure to meet you, Lucas."

-"No way! The Emmanuelle Rousseau?"

-"In the flesh, sweetie."

-"Let me guess," I told Lucas." She's also very known and loved by everyone?"

He gazed at me, a sorry expression on his face.

-"You don't like her too, huh?"

-"You've come to know me well, boy. I'm proud of you."