30. Dieticians And Maze Runners

Usually, scientists and dieticians advise us to take a break after each meal and try to avoid substantial physical efforts. Emma, on the other hand, seemed to have a different opinion about that matter, because as soon as we finished breakfast, she urged me and the other four to go to the training room.

I had warned her, though, and told her that if I threw up, she would be the one to blame, and not me.

She had ignored me.

Right now, she was asking us to stand ready and listen intently to what she had to say.

-"Today," she started, "we will be learning something new. As I've told you before, not only do you have the power to time-travel, but you can also teleport yourself in a different place, without having to change the current hour, day, or epoch."

-"I can't wait to try it!" exclaimed Lucas excitedly.

-"Yeah, well, the procedures are similar to those of simple time-travel. Whereas while time-traveling, you focus on two main points-- time and place-- in teleportation, you only think of one: a location." Holding a finger up in the air, she continued: "But beware. Even though it has only one point to focus on, it requires more effort than normal time-travel."

-"How is that?" asked Zoe. "Logically, it should be easier, right?"

-"Ah, but you see, the primary use of your powers is for time-traveling. So modeling this power to get a new one necessitates a lot of energy from you, even if the said power should, usually, be less demanding."

-"'Oh, okay. Thanks for clearing that up!"

-"You're welcome, sweetie. Now, go ahead, students, start practicing."

-"Do we also have to stare at a clock or something?" I inquired.

-"Of course, Paul. What do you think?" Emma rolled her eyes. "I've told you before, and I say it now: the sight and the sound of the hands are what activates the power in you, be it for time-travel or simply teleportation."

-"I see."

-"So, should we start?" questioned this time Francesco.

-"Yes, yes! Start practicing guys."

And that we did.

I focused on the clock, thought of a place, and disappeared. I landed in the cafeteria. At first, I thought I succeeded, but then I saw flowers outside and noticed the rather hot and warm weather.

I had time-traveled to a few months later, in May or April. Sighing, I got back to the training room and kept trying until it worked.

When it did, I repeated it at least thrice to make sure I had mastered the technique.

-"I'm amazed," said Emma from behind me. "You've managed to pass a lesson without making a total fool of yourself! I'm proud of you, mi amor."

-"A compliment from you? Wow. My performance must've been pretty impressive today."

-"Oh, don't flatter yourself too much. The others were still better than you."

-"Were they, now," I said teasingly.

-"Yes, honey. They were. Now if you'll please excuse me, I have to go-"

-"Wait! I need to talk to you. Maybe we could go somewhere more priv-"

-"Hey, Paul!" I heard Lucas say.

Oh, not now, Lukie. Bad timing. Very, very bad timing.

-"Yes, Lucas?" I answered reluctantly. And, holding a finger up to Emma, I silently asked her to wait for me.

-"Are you free tonight? I was thinking, you know, maybe we could hang out, me, you, James and Mathias."

-"That's a good idea!" I told him, silently praying the conversation would end here.

-"So, do you want to go to the library, the game room, or outside the base? And at which hour do you want it to be? Would 7:00 be great? Oh, but wait, there's also the dinner around that time. Hmm," he said and kept on rambling.

I threw a look behind my shoulder to make sure Emma was still here, waiting for me.

She was not.

"Great," my subconscious quipped. "Thank you so much, Lucas."

-"Hey, Lu, can we talk about this later? I need to say something to Emma."

-"But she just went," he frowned.

-"Exactly. I have to go search for her now."

-"Oh, so it's that urgent?"

-"Aye."

-'Alright then, I'll go and discuss tonight's details with James and Mathias."

-"Awesome! I'll see you tonight then!"

-"Yes. See you, Paul!"

I smiled.

-"Bye, Lu."

He whirled around and went to search for the boys. As for me, I left the training room and started looking for Emma. Since she left a few minutes ago, I assumed she wasn't far away, and so I went to see if she was still walking down the corridor.

As expected, I had guessed right.

There she was, storming to whatever event she had next, her ponytail swinging and swaying as she went.

-"Hey, Rousseau!" I called her.

She turned around graciously.

-"Yes, Paul?"

-"I told you to wait," I reproached her. "I know you have an important meeting to attend, but I just wanted to ask if you could help me with something."

-"Actually, I don't have any meetings."

-"But why were you in a hurry, then?"

-"I just wanted to take a nap and rest."

-"Oh. In that case, maybe I can talk to you another time and-"

-"No, no, it's fine. Go ahead, ask me whatever you wanted to ask."

-"Well, I just wanted to take you out. To have a drink or something."

Her eyebrows shot in surprise. And disbelief, too.

-"Is that so? Is there any motivation, or personal demand behind this? Because, coming from you, this could never be out of the goodness of your heart."

-"Is my image and reputation that low?" I asked her, amused.

-"Well, how to put it nicely... Yes, it is. Definitely. Especially after our first meeting, and your lovely sharing qualities."

-"Oh, come on. You still haven't forgiven me for that incident? It was nothing!"

She raised an eyebrow.

-"Fine, fine. The bill's on me if you accept."

She grinned deviously.

-"Wonderful!" she exclaimed.

Oh.

So, she had done this little drama on purpose. I pressed my lips tightly. But in a small corner of my mind, I couldn't help but admit that she had played it well, and quite cleverly.

-"So, you're in?"

-"Aye," she replied. "Let me just put on an appropriate outfit, and I'll be with you in less than a second."

-"Oh, no, no! You don't need to dress up. You'll see."

She glanced at me with a shocked yet curious look.

-"Well, let's get going then, dear."

I grinned.

And, taking her arm, we teleported ourselves into the endless maze the Parisian streets formed.