Chapter 7

At Konoha high school, it was lunch break. The students gathered around their friends, chatting about their daily lives.

"Ugh, I'm so tired." Naruto yawned.

"You just took a nap fifteen minutes ago." Shikamaru, one of Naruto's closest friend, told him. Shikamaru would often sleep during lectures but manages to get a perfect score on his test that even the teachers were amazed. They thought he somehow cheated, however, there wasn't any kind of evidence to back it up.

"School is so boring though. How do people listen to them talk everyday?" Naruto complained as he grabbed his onigiri and took a large bite.

"Beats me." Shikamaru said bluntly. As they were eating their lunches, the slide door opened to two other students.

"Yo, Naruto!" One of them yelled. Naruto's face lit up in excitement when he saw his friends.

Naruto yelled back and waved. "Hey Kiba! Choji!"

"What's up you guys?" The other boy name Choji, spoked with mouth full of chips.

"Seriously Choji? What did I say about talking with your mouth full?" Shikamaru sighed, shaking his head in disbelief.

Choji swallowed his chips and gave an apologetic smile. "Sorry. You told me not to talk while eating." He chuckled. Shikamaru sighed again and crossed his arms. He couldn't help but smile at his goofball of a friend. Naruto giggled a bit at their little shenanigan.

These were the people Naruto trusted now. A year ago, they help him get his life together, especially Shikamaru, after his "best friend" kicked him out of a group and started beating up the poor blond.

Behind the school buildings, Naruto was getting severely injured from two of the members punches and stomps. The others stood around making fun of the Uzumaki. The boss only lit his cigar and watched him get beat up minutes after minutes.

"You're so pathetic!" One of the members said as he kicks Naruto in the guts. Naruto groaned loudly, coughing up blood.

"It's a good thing you're not in this group anymore. Such a damn annoying...Brat! Clinging to the boss all the time. You should learn some respect, dumbass!" A second member shouted. He brings up his bloody fist for the final blow. Naruto grits his teeth, shutting his eyes quickly until-

"Hey! What the hell are you guys doing?!" Few of the teachers came in, stopping all the chaos. The group tried escaping but all of them were caught, having them expelled from school for the rest of the year. Naruto was sent to the hospital immediately.

A few hours later, Naruto regained his conciousness. He looked around the room. Naruto caught a boy with the same school uniform and black tied up spiky hair sitting near the window. Naruto tried to get up but the pain in his abdomen was too strong. "Just stay in bed. You're gonna hurt yourself more if you keep moving."

"The teachers... It was you who told them, right?" Naruto asked. The spiky hair boy turned to face Naruto and lifted his eyebrow. "I saw you in the corner...while I was basically getting murdered out there. It was just a hunch."

The boy sighed. "Yeah... I was the one who told them. It was a troublesome though. Troublesome indeed." The room was quite for a minute until Naruto asked a question.

"But why? You don't know me. I shouldn't even matter to you. So why-"

"Because I felt like it. You seemed like a nice kid. My dad told me once, if you want to help someone then help them. And that's what I did. What a pain it was." He replied, scratching the back of his head. The boy actually ran as he could to find any teachers as possible. Although, he'd rather not mention anything about that.

The boy looked at Naruto to see his reaction. His eyes widened. The blond had tears streaming down his face. Someone wanted to help him. Naruto's emotions was all over the place as he softly cries.

"T-thanks..." Naruto whispered under the sheets.

The boy sat there shocked then smiled. "Yeah, whatever... Name's Shikamaru Nara."

The blonde calm down, wiping his tears. "Naruto Uzumaki."

Naruto went in his class for the first time in a while. Everyone in the room started whispering and gave glares. It was expected. "Naruto." Someone called out.

"Shikamaru? You're in this class?"

Shikamaru yawned. "Of course I am. You just never in here to notice."

"Right, heh..." Naruto chuckled.

Naruto started to take his studies seriously and went in class everyday. After that incident, Shikamaru introduced Naruto to his friends Choji and Kiba.They were a bit hesitant but nonetheless let him join in. The four of them hanged out everyday which made Naruto so happy.

"Hello? Anybody home? Naruto, wake up!" Kiba said.

"Huh? Did you say something?" Naruto questioned.

"Sheesh, zoning out on me. Anyways, want to hang out at my house and play video games with us?" Kiba offered. Naruto did want to play but in his mind he felt like he should visit the Uchiha afterschool just in case everythings alright.

"Maybe, next time." Naruto said.

"What? Did you get yourself a lady?" Kiba smirk, nudging him in the elbow.

Naruto blushed, "It's not like that! I don't feel like it today!" The boys laughed and bickered the rest of the time. Class started again and everyone went to their seats.

"Shikamaru?" Naruto whispered.

"What?"

"...Thanks again."

Shikamaru turned around confused. "About what?"

Naruto only grinned. "Nevermind. It's nothing."