A lamplit dream.

That morning, in the milieu of the dawn breaking by, Eden traveled upwards in her dream in the company of a man. A stranger with beautiful green eyes, who held her close to himself by the oil lamp. In a room. With locked door and massive windows. There were shadows skirting the corners, beyond where the glow of oil lamp could not reach. In the light, she could only see him.

She could feel the hard ridges of his thin built, toned muscles under his cotton shirt as her hand sincerely explored him. He was kissing her with her chin tipped up on his forefinger, his eyes shut and his hand everywhere on her body.

She felt him feeling her. Smiling because she smiled.

Then suddenly, moon came up by the window and he backed off from her. He smiled at her and he had deep dimples on his cheeks when he did that. His eyes turned emerald and his fingers caressed her cheeks longingly.

His smile turned cold.

You will never have me. You are not mine.”He whispered to her and she told him that she knew.

But I shall always be yours.” He promised her looking into her eyes and stood up. She stood up too. He flanged his coat on his shoulder and bowed down, to touch his forehead onto her. he was taller than her. And then, he turned around and walked away, into the dark corner of the room, from where he faded away. Like some divine entity.

She stood by the window, as the lamp flickered dead with his going away, she stood in the moonlight.

An incompletely kissed girl in the moonlit cold room.

And next, she heard voices. Remote, farther voices. Ones, that did not belong to her dream.

“Should we wake her up?” Carol’s voice.

“We have no spare choice.” It was Maggie this time.

Then there was silence. She felt the moonlight shifting in that darkness. The moon was setting down to the horizon.

“Is she in pain?” she heard Carol mumble in anxiety. “She looks so sad.”

“No. She is dreaming.” Maggie whispered accurately. “She dreams a lot.”

And Eden had no idea whether she dreamt a lot or a lot less. She just ached a lot when she dreamt. Her dreams were always so vivid. Unfeigned.

She felt soft caresses gliding across her forehead and with a strange mixture of joy and sorrow, she opened her eyes.

Maggie was gazing down at her in a curious concern.

“Eden?”

“Say.”

“I am so sorry to disturb you like this.” And Maggie sounded sorry indeed.

Eden nodded.

“But we need you, awfully.” Carol reasoned from behind. “Desperately.”

The last of the sleepiness drained off her and she sat up searching for the clock on the mantelpiece.

“It’s nine O’ nine in the morning.” Maggie said. “And Lord Adelwood’s coach has just entered the estate boundaries, with three coaches following his suit, all full of guests.”

Of course.

And suddenly, on the reference of him, the green eyed man from her dream came back to her. His deep dimples. His genuine smile. More real than ever. Who was that man? Who could he be? She knew him.

Something changed.

“And I am needed because?” she inquired.

“Mrs. Hopkins informed us that his lordship has himself requested for a tea to be arranged in the front yard by that cupid fountain. You know we had no such hint or preparations of kind and now, with so less time, with tables to lay and chairs to be arranged….Oh well, be with us Eden, though Mrs. Hopkins has warned us against involving you into it. But…please.”