Whom to love?

Rice powder.

Yes, rice powder.

Rice powder was the best fixation one could use to hide assault marks.

Thankfully, Eden knew this and the finger marks that had been blotched on her chin and jaw in the gallery, for she could not carry them to all eyes, she used rice powder to cover them. The porcelain shade of her skin got blended very well with the pallid color of the rice dust.

It was so heroic of her, that she could hide such things so finely, wasn’t it?

So apart from this, all went fine that day….until the evening.

Oh, don’t get it wrong. The evening didn’t just go well but also, it was one of those most content times of her life that Eden treasured.

They had been allowed a two hour long break, all the servants of Ashleyton. On the order of Lord Adelwood himself.

Those precious, earned out, two hours didn’t go wasted.

They all, all the maids and footmen and substitutes, went to the garden. There was tea for everyone and scones.

There was dusk twilight for everyone and chirping birds.

There was bliss for everyone and peace of heart.

And the garden of Ashleyton was no mere garden. It was too vast, too beautiful and to calm not to feel heavenly in.

Eden and Maggie lay side by side, on the green grass, gazing at the sky. Laughing because a crow was there, chasing another crow. Smiling because the clouds were gliding like angels in the sky.

Happy because they felt like it, being happy.

They had downed three cups of tea, both the girl, and were reckless in their ways enjoying their unwatched, unadjudged moment at its fullest. Nearby, under the spreading chestnut tree sat Devin, the stable boy, with his mother at her side, who was no other than Mrs. Hopkins herself.

And Devin was playing his flute.

The sweet, chocolaty waves of music filled the air, hitting everyone at once, with a sad fulfillness that music often cause to the ears. And heart.

And soul.

Other maids were sitting and chatting. Footmen all dozed off, sprawled across the green grass carpet. Some were awake though, smoking cigars. And of course, a few who were side-glancing their secret sweethearts among the maids.

Eden secretly wished they could stay like this forever. All of them.

Forever.

Happy and Calm as this day.

But forever is a deadly word.  Forever is a promise that can never be kept. That can never be fulfilled.

Forever never last for even ever.

Not long later, when Eden and Maggie had just begun to contemplate chasing fireflies in the bushes, Lord Adelwood’s butler came around seeking Mrs. Hopkins out. Once he found her, he relayed a few words to the old lady and took a quick leave.

But the moment he turned back and left, Mrs. Hopkins’ eyes met those of Eden and the girl sensed that something was coming.

“I’ll be right back.” She excused herself from Maggie and stood up, straightening her gown and dusting of the grasses and figs from her dress.

Mrs. Hopkins had moved farther into the remote of the yard which was a suggestion that it was a private call. One, not to be heard by anyone other than herself. She went to where the housekeeper was.