Dead and Wounded.

Wham!!!

Carol flinched in her chair as her terrified wide eyes stared up at the towering figure of Lord Adelwood while he rammed his fist on the nearest wall, yes_ again. By her side, on the next chair, she heard Bella gulp audibly while a few other maids standing by jumped up in shock.

Mrs. Hopkins looked stern as she glared at Lord Adelwood.

Nothing was helping. Nothing could help.

Carol fidgeted in her chair nervously as Lord Adelwood paced back to the opposite of her table with his long, brisk steps.

“Miss Carol.” He hissed slapping his palm flat on the table_ eyes emerald blades. “I entreat you. Please try to recall at least the name of that damned tavern.”

Carol fearfully looked down at her shivering fingers and swallowed. Why, God! She hadn’t even properly read the address but had only caught a drift of something like Sigmund Valley. She wasn’t even sure if it was here in Hertfordshire or down London itself.

“I beg you Sir.” She whispered in a raspy, uneven voice. “Have pity. I told you that I didn’t see the name, in all earnesty.”

Curse it all!

He stood straight abruptly making Carol back into her chair and pinched the bridge of his nose in great annoyance. “There are nine damned taverns throughout Sigmund Valley! Where the hell might they be?”

He raked his long, slender fingers through his caramel blonde hair and was almost tempted to pull them out their roots.

“And here, I am to be strictly clear,” He declared sternly, addressing everyone. “_when I say that this ordeal is to remain severely confidential until Miss Eden and Miss Margaret return home safely. Any gossip, any blathering in this regard and I shall be very_ unsympathetic. You people have lately developed an interest in scandals.”

Several cheeks across the room acquired deep reds as the maid dipped their chins lower and footmen shifted uncomfortably.

They had not expected it. For Lord Adelwood to acknowledge the rumor of his and Eden’s tryst almost this openly, no one had imagined.

They all nodded their head obediently; a bit ashamed and much guilty that they had indeed broken their beloved master’s trust.

Lord Adelwood sighed, shaking his head. He was, as it appeared, extremely stressed by the situation which was respect-inspiring, considering his concern for his inferiors.

Loud thumping footsteps then filled the corridor outside, turning every head towards the door including His lordship’s as well.

The door opened and entered a man, tall, wide and rakish_ Mr. Clarke, one of Lord Adelwood’s guest. He was the only one of the guests who knew of this matter. Lord Adelwood chose him because he owed four out of nine inns from the Sigmund valley and that certainly would make the search easier.

At least that was what Lord Stephen believed.

And oh yes! This Clarke was the same man who had maltreated Eden down in the studio when she had been admiring Lord Adelwood’s portrait. Though right now, his face was all filled with sincerity of a man on a mission.

Clarke entered the room and walked up to Lord Adelwood with his brackish charm. “Stephen, I have sent my words at my taverns. If the girls are there, they would detain them both.”

And just then, Devin rushed into the room and bowed quickly to Lord Adelwood. “Master, it’s all ready. Your mounts are geared up.”

Lord Adelwood nodded at Devin and then Rochdale, signaling them both to rush after him as he himself marched out of the kitchen hall.