Champagne and promises.

The lasts of the etiquette lecture by Mrs. Hopkins was almost over.

“And….” Mrs. Hopkins ran her eyes once, over at everyone, maids and the footmen. “You have the rest of your day off as per the orders of Master Adelwood.”

Episodes of hoots and howls erupted in the kitchen hall with relieved sighs and exaggerated, happy groans. Maggie was waltzing with Carol, Bella was jumping and Eden was cheering. The rest of the girls applauded happily and men boasted and brawled.

A day off meant so much, even if it was at late afternoon.

“But…” Again, Mrs. Hopkins interjected, silencing everyone. “None of you are supposed to go out or anywhere away. Be accessible. There is something very important to be announced this evening, by his Lordship himself.”

They all nodded obediently. Curiously.

“Is it something of merry kind, madam? This announcement?” One footman posed.

“That is none of our business to know.” The unsmiling housekeeper answered. “But by the ways of Master’s mood, yes, it is to be something worth celebrating.”

Another session of lively cheers and happy shouts filled the room, and though Mrs. Hopkins sniffed and frowned in disapproval, she didn’t try to clamp down the noise. She simply walked away from the good spirited crowd mumbling, "I just lectured them on etiquette and see what they do...."

“Oh, Eden!” Maggie shrieked grasping Eden’s hand and swirling her around. “Can you believe this? No work at all and a celebration awaiting!!!”

“I say, I cannot.” Carol nudged in between them both. “With so much tension we have had here since morning, I had no hope for merriment at the end of the day.”

“Yes!!” It was Bella to net in this time. “Lady Ivy has not stopped crying since morning. Mr. Edwin’s remand has left her depressed and snubbed. Mr. Edwin himself has not stepped out of his room.”

“I understand his resentment, you know.” Maggie argued passionately, her blond curls bouncing as she spoke. “Lady Ivy is that one monkey he doesn’t want on his back. She has been tagging after him for three years as far as I know. He had already made it quite clear that he has not even the subtlest inclination towards her but she won’t stop agitating him with her drooling presence like a wanto...

Eden pinched Maggie on her palm.

“Ouch!”

“Mind your language.” Eden rebuked.

“I am really glad Eden.” Carol poked her. “I am really glad that he took your side this morning. It was so charming of him.”

“He was only defending his own pride and the memories his wife.” Eden shook her head. “We should remember that he has just lost his wife.”

“Nonetheless, he talks to you a lot.” Maggie pointed out. “And he laughed with you today.”

“Yes!! He did.” Bella squeaked eagerly. “That was a sound so rare and so beautiful. I haven’t heard him laughing like that in all my days. You should know better, Eden.”

Eden knew where the conversation was heading. “That signifies noth…”

“Girls..!”  Mrs. Hopkins suddenly barked from the kitchen, silencing them. “If gossip is all you have got to do, get out of the hall. I cannot help but listen to you and I am having temptations to join in.”

They all laughed a common laugh and left the room...merrily.

Outside, they huddled together once more. The contents of gossip were not quite exploited yet.