The Great Mistake

On the night of great mistake, a very slight slip had happened.

Maggie had been left alone that rainy night.

In her room. Unaided. Unguided.

For Eden to never be able return to her chamber that night was the great mistake.

For them all, to forget that no beast could possess a passion for revenge as man could was the great mistake.

To not be prepared for the worst was great mistake.

To have such blind faith in him and even inconsideration was the great mistake.

But principally, to leave Maggie alone was the real great mistake that led to the all-encompassing catastrophe.

If you were to blame it upon someone, you could have blamed the entire universe and it would not have been enough. You could have blamed Eden, Lord Stephen, Clarke and Devin, Mrs. Hopkins and Carol, the night and the moonlessness, the rain, the damp roads and the dingy lodges, the whole human civilization and the primordials and contentment would still have been far.

Because when it comes to the destiny, there are forces that operate from beyond universe. There are manipulations that are mastered from afar a million skies and a thousand universes.

This missile was fired from an unanticipated quarter.

“My intensions were as clear as daylight, that night_ when you two returned from the tavern.” The man stated softly. “To see you, Eden, it was. To ensure you were well. But after all that you did, I had to go for a retaliation.”

Eden flinched in revolt when he said her name like that.

“Do not say my name, I beg you.”

“Why not, Eden?” The man tilted his head. “I desire you. It’s not a secret.”

“Oh, you disgust me.” She spat out. “You disgust me.”

“Do I?” He posed gently, drawing one small step nearer. “You did, too. You too disgusted me, Eden. That night, when I learnt what you were up to. But once I had settled the scores, it was easier. I could love you all again in the morning, and no less than earlier.”

“You are a paranoid.” She breathed into his face. “You are deranged.”

“Maybe.” He whispered, his eyes roaming all over her face, pausing at her lips. “I have felt akin that since the moment I saw you first.”

She staggered back from him when she saw him lifting his hand as if to touch her. When he saw her revulsion, he withdrew his hand back to his side.

“So you were the father of Margaret’s child.”

The corner of his lips lifted a little, in a smile perhaps. His blue eyes flickered unsteadily. “I was, though I had no sentiments for her or the sprout she was budding in her womb.”

 “To think that I admired you once!”

“Matters not, love.” He smiled sorrowfully. “I still admire you. Will always. That would be enough for us both.”

Eden pressed her dry eyes together as harshly as she could. She felt a darkness eclipse all her belief and convictions. Her faith. Her credence.

“But I assure you,” He continued blatantly. “It was never supposed to end up the way it did. Not that I regret it, Eden, I care not had she lived than I heed that she died. I care only for you. And now, that I know your relation with that man, that I won’t have you ever, I am rather glad she is extinct. At least you will remember what you did to me. You betrayed me.”