Masterpiece

That evening, of the day Lord Stephen Adelwood returned from London, a warm rain drizzled the whole countryside with its caressing wetness. By night however, the sky was cloudless and fair and the soaring moon absolved its see-through silver light all over the Ashleyton.

When all the chores and toil was over, Eden slipped in her room, guided by a single candle and un-curtained all the windows of the room letting the moon light flood in.

Maggie was already in her cot, shaped like a comma, snoozing.

It was calm, tonight. And just a little wet, outside.

Eden, quick as a squirrel, changed into her nightgown and slithered into her bed, blowing the bedside candle out.

The yellow lightedness of the candle passed out as the blue lightedness of the moon filled in.

Eden had just closed her eyes shut when a voice glided over her ears.

“Eden?” It was Maggie.

“Yes?” She inquired looking down at the bed by. “You are not asleep yet?”

“No.”

“Oh.”

Then, nothing came for some several moments except a few long dragged in breathe from Margaret.

“Eden?”

“Hmm?”

“Can I ask something?”

“Sure.”

“Have you ever been kissed?”

A sneaky little question, wasn’t it? Eden was taken by surprise as her breathing tipped over. She rolled her head toward Maggie’s side of bed.

“Why do you ask that, Mage?”

“I asked first, Eden.”

“But..”

“No buts. Just tell me.” Maggie’s voice was heavy whispers. “Have you ever been kissed? By a man?”

Twice.

Eden had been kissed twice. Both times, by man.

Once by Lord Stephen Adelwood on her wedding day_ like a wedding vow, that was fated to be destroyed.

And her other kiss which, as a rule, was her first kiss was a much ancient one, given to her by the man she had loved. Given to her by him. Him.

She would not say his name. Not even in her thoughts.

You do not say the name of the dead ones.

Not even in your thoughts.

“No.” Eden announced it into the dark darkness of her room. “No, I have never been kissed.”

“Oh.” Maggie sighed. “That’s unfortunate.”

And again Maggie fell quiet. Eden too didn’t had any aspiration to proceed on this talk so she closed her eyes and pulled her quilt up to her nose.

“Eden.” Maggie called again. “Can I share your bed tonight?”

The question overwhelmed Eden enough to part her eyes open and make her smile, “Sure, you can. Come over.”

She saw a quick shadow of Maggie scrambling off her bed and felt her own bed get heavier as the girl got into the covers.

“So?” Eden said. “What is it that robs your sleep tonight?”

“Oh Eden….” Maggie whispered long after she had settled into a stillness. “He kissedme. Here…here, on my lips.”

“Who?” Eden asked, shocked.