Chapter 3

Chapter 3

"Mann Mast Magan, Bas Tera Naam Dauhraye
"

Zoya quietly tiptoed towards the direction of the clamour only to freeze at the sight in front of her.

Tanveer was in the garden right next to the joint where the wall started, her arms flailing wildly in the air, her face set in a deep scowl. She looked like she was having a really disturbed conversation with someone, only Zoya couldn't make out if her lips were moving or not. She squinted her eyes to get a better view simultaneously as she moved towards her and called out.

"Tanveer"

Tanveer froze at the sound and spun around in her direction so fast, she almost fell off her feet.

"Tanveer" Zoya said again taking a step towards her but she didn't miss the look of total panic on her face before she unsuccessfully covered it.

"What's going on?" She enquired extending her neck up to take a better look at the garden.

"Nothing Zoya, what's wrong?" Tanveer answered in a surprisingly calm voice.

"It seems like you were talking to someone in the garden" Zoya put it out bold and straight. No need to beat around the bush.

"Uh.. No! No, who would I be having a conversation with; there's no one here Zoya. Um.. uh.. yeah...there was just this street cat roaming around here,I was just shooing her away"

"Cat!"

Zoya's face paled and her eyes widened. She hated cats. She had her own fair share of bad memories with them.

"Oh! Okay" She nodded in a daze accepting her explanation. She didn't want to talk more about 'cats' so she just let it go.

"Just be safe", she added with distaste almost as if she was having a bad memory.

"How's your foot now?" Tanveer asked changing the subject.

"I'll be okay. How about you? By the way I am sorry again."

"Oh no, don't be, it wasn't your fault" she said in a sugar coated voice.

They wished each other pleasantries and retired to their rooms for the night, where Zoya couldn't but help ponder for a second, how could Tanveer stay so polite and proper all the damn time! It was too good to be true.

                                                                                          xx

The work performed under this contract has been reviewed and found, to the architect's best knowledge, information and belief, to be substa..' , Asad groaned out loud as he read the same line for the umpteenth time unable to complete it again. Zoya's hurt face flashed in front of his eyes from the last time he had seen her, standing with his mother and sister, her unshed tears betraying her smile when he had ignored her and escorted Tanveer to her room.

He hadn't seen her since then. She never joined him for meals and basically stayed locked up in her room whenever he was home. It was as if she wasn't there anymore. His breakfasts have never been so dull and dinners never so gloomy.

He knew she was purposely ignoring him.

The very first day he'd been in a bit of shock when she had not crossed his way even once. He'd been hoping to see her in the morning to know how her foot was, obviously under the pretext of his mother and sister, but she hadn't showed up. He had reluctantly left for office telling himself he would see her in the evening only to find her nowhere in sight when he got home.

And it continued!

He sighed heavily– he had been getting the same treatment for three days now.Three days since he'd last seen her smile or that twinkle in her eyes. He didn't know if it was the flick of her hair or the chime of her laughter, her beautiful brown eyes or her pink pouty lips but he had missed her. He had missed looking in those brown gorgeous orbs and getting lost. He had missed her "Oh really's" and "Allah Miyan's". Hell, he had missed everything about her. The only way he'd managed to survive all these days was his secret daily regimen.

The harsh ringing of a cellphone intruded on Asad's fantasy world and brought him back to reality. He picked it up without looking at the dial screen and immediately regretted it as he recognized the male voice on the other end.

"Ayaan"

"Bhaijaan" he replied in a gruff voice.

"Aya.."

"No bhaijaan, I didn't call to exchange pleasantries. I just need one answer from you". There was complete silence on the other end so he continued.

"Will you testify against Abbu?"

"He is your Abbu, Ayaan, not mine"

"I didn't ask you that, will you testify against him in court or not"

"Yes I will" Asad's words rang clear as a bell. There was a deafening silence for a few minutes.

" Well, its all clear then" and he heard the phone disconnect. Asad put his head between his hands and swore softly. His life was just getting better and better by the second. All his problems rooting back to one man, Mr.Rashid Ahmed Khan.