Chapter 10

Chapter 10

"Saaya Bhi Tera Main Hone Na Du Judaa, Maine Teh Kar Liya."

The constant beeping of the monitor hooked to Humaira's heart was the only thing that kept everyone calm. With the frenzy of anger lifted, the gears in Razia's mind had started turning quick. She knew Dilshad in and out and she knew what she was capable of. And the annoying senior citizen she had to deal with in her house was much less the same. They were good women. Stupid women.

They can't hurt a fly much less an actual human being. As far as the girl was concerned, if she actually intended to hurt Humaira, she wouldn't just show up like that. It was a stupid plot, so stupid that it could only be an accident.

But only shaped like one. The person behind this was smart.

"When is she going to wake up Dr.?"

Ayaan's voice filled the empty hall outside the special ICU unit for the umpteenth time. He had been asking the same question every fifteen seconds.

"It could be any moment now. Please calm down and stay beside her", would be the response of every medical staff passing by.

This was all his fault. The fact that she was there lifeless with a million machines attached to her body was only because of him. It was like he had called the worst kind of blasphemy upon himself. His unsure mind and corrupted motives for marrying the girl who was now closer to his heart that he would admit, were costing him her life. A cruel joke played by the universe. An answering force of karma for lying to her best friend. He had wished for no engagement and it had been served to him on an agonizingly nasty platter.

The erratic rhythm of Humaira's heart rate popped his bubble bringing him back to the scene, nurses and ward boys now huddling into the small room blocking her from his view. The damage done by the traces of poison left behind had set her body into seizures. Again.

"Hurry! get the doctor" someone shouted.

Ayaan hadn't realized when he had started running, his footsteps now tracing the path of chaos. He was out of the building in minutes as soon as he had scurried the doctor to the room.

He just couldn't take it anymore. He needed to get out of there.

But he wasn't the only one who needed clean air to filter out their mind. Unaware of her daughter's recent health development, Razia had just stepped out to make a phone call.

"I need you to confirm this first thing in the morning, do whatever you have to do. I'll pay you any price. Just. Get. This. Done."

Nobody messed with her and got away with no repercussions. Whoever this little swine was, would pay a big price.

xx

Three excruciating long hugs and hundreds of giggles later, Asad's fist finally came down on the table. He didn't even know what had made him do it, now that five set of eyes had turned towards him.

"I thought there was something" he muttered lamely and ran down to his hiding abode.

Tanveer didn't like this at all. She had heard Khala's little rant about how mahaan Zoya was in Asad's room. How the hell was she supposed to get rid of her now. All her plans were failing, and the last forty-five minutes had been pure hell. Every time Zoya's so called best friend touched her arm or made her laugh, Asad had looked like he would either pop his own vein or pop the guy's brains out. She better get her act straight while she still had time.

Zoya heard a muffled crash and instantly knew Jahapanah had thrown one of his fits again. She didn't even want to think about it anymore–what he did or why he did. His words still stung like an antiseptic on a freshly cut wound, only the actual one spared it from further damage. But there was no relief, no solace hidden in the insults. They only tore at the gash, made it worse.