Chapter 4

Chapter 4

"Gali mein Aaj Chand Nikla..."

Zoya was not having a good morning. She had decided to come clean to her best friend. In a fit of jealousy- which she still refused to think of as jealousy- she had called her childhood friend Zayn and told, actually commanded him to come see her in India for she felt extremely homesick. Being one of Zoya's closest friend, he had realized something had gone terribly wrong as his best friend did not show any signs of vulnerabilities easy. He had promised her he would be there in less than a week, once he finishes off his conference in New Zealand.

But Zoya had woken up feeling extremely guilty and idiotic having imposed the troubled feelings of her heart on her friend's career. She had to stop this. It was simply ridiculous!

And so she had decided to come out of her self- induced exile and also cancelled Zayn's tickets for India.

Of course he had been totally incredulous about this bizarre behavior of hers but let it go once she spilled out all the beans, mostly forced to - he had threatened to never talk to her again.

"What?"

"Stop over- reacting Zayn. It's not that big of a deal"

He only doubled up with laughter on the other end of the line.

"Babe, you just LIED to me, almost giving me a heart attack, just because you wanted to make big bad gorilla man jealous"

"His name is Asad and NO, I am not trying to make him jealous. I just missed home" True for the record.

"Oh Zo! You didn't have to cancel my tickets. I can still rebook you know"

"No please! I know how hard you worked for this. You need to go back to U.S. and focus on your assignment"

"You are more important Zo! Remember family comes first!"

Zoya couldn't help but choke up. She really was lucky to have Zayn as a friend in her life. And he was right family does come first.

"Exactly! And that's what you are too. I wouldn't have cancelled them if I were actually going crazy Zayn" She was. " And don't hold your breath, I will book them right back once I conclude that I am."

" Alright missy I won't! You can speed dial me any time", he chuckled

"I will"

There was a knock on the door.

"Gotta go Zayn, someone's on the door"

" Catch you later Zo"

Zoya headed for the door as soon as the line disconnected, praying and hoping it wasn't the big bad gorilla man on the other side.

It was Najma. A very tense looking Najma for that matter.

"What's wrong Tamatar?"

" Abbu just got bailed Zoya. It doesn't look good between Ammi and Bhaijaan. I am worried she might get sick again. She just recovered!", Najma panicked.

And so did Zoya. Even though she was relieved that her dost had been bailed out, she could imagine the fury that would have unleashed in the courtroom. No wonder Phuphi looked so pale. She had to call the doctor.Now.

xx

Asad walked in to see an anxious Zoya sitting on the side of his Ammi's bed. He had rushed home as soon as he got Najma's phone call. He was already filled in on the status from the nurse downstairs.