-iii. hallway quarrels

❛ It may be next time ❜

It may be next time

The morning started like any other. Claire was a pain to wake up but eventually, Hannah's bickering did the job. Riley took too long in the shower making them late to breakfast and of course Hannah's daily say hi to every portrait in the whole damn school now made them miss breakfast completely. They did arrive at Charms early which was never good if it meant having to set up for Flitwick's first lesson.

"Miss Labelle, take this to the back table please," The short man asked. Claire obviously couldn't say no, so as she walked to the back of the class with a crate full of quills for the first years, the far too familiar laugh of Sirius Black filled the classroom. This meant one thing.

Crash.

Claire had stumbled slightly and the whole crate flew out of her hands and made contact with the floor. "Everything alright back there?" Flitwick questioned.

"Fine," Claire called out, already kneeling down and scooping up the quills. She stood up and whipped around, her brown eyes meeting a pair of hazel ones. "Sorry," she mumbled, walking past the boy with glasses but then having to walk past him again when she realized she had gone the wrong way. The class had finally started and the three girls sat in the back, away from the other Gryffindor girls they loathed most.

Riley sat there chewing on a piece of spearmint gum, not even bothering to tune into what Flitwick was saying. Hannah sat, nodding along to his lecture about summoning charms and taking notes on the parchment that she would most likely end up giving to Riley for her to 'borrow'. Claire found herself, with her head rested atop her arms, staring at the back of James Potter's head which was very very unhealthy for her. She couldn't- wouldn't let anything ruin her sixth year. Her imagination and tendency to create scenarios she knows will never happen in real life would be the toughest obstacle she would face this term. Claire had a feeling that it would get the best of her.

The class ended soon enough and the three took their time leaving. "Did you catch any of that?" Riley asked, hoisting her bag over her shoulder.

"Yes, actually. It's called listening and taking notes, you should try it sometime, Riley," Hannah sassed. Riley gave her an obnoxiously offended look.

"I do listen." The three had now already left the class and were on their way to Transfiguration which wasn't too far of a walk.

"You just said you don't-" Their bickering was cut off when they approached them.

"Are you guys lost? This is a N.E.W.T. level class," Marlene McKinnon began, catching the attention of some of the students around them.

Riley was clearly not having this today so she, of course, stepped up, "Very good McKinnon, you can read your schedule." This earned a laugh from the people around them.

"Hannah, still in love with Malfoy?" Alice Fortescue asked. Yes, Hannah did have a small crush on Lucius Malfoy but in her defense, she didn't think Alice would ever tell anyone. Yeah, she was wrong.

"Still stuff your bra, Alice?" Hannah shot back. The students went hysterical at that. Alice turned bright red and Marlene then pulled out her wand which made Riley do the same.

"Ladies, something wrong?" McGonagall asked, exiting the classroom to see what all the commotion was about.

"Nothing at all, Professor," Lily stated sweetly. McGonagall nodded sternly and gave the three brunette girls a pointed look.

It was very much known throughout their year that Claire, Riley, and Hannah were some of McGonagall's favorite students. I know what you're thinking, McGonagall doesn't have any favorites. Very much not true. After the seven years of her having Melissa and Hector Labelle, Claire's parents, as students, McGonagall took a liking to Claire. She remembered the young Gryffindor romance and this made her feel the need to protect the girl and make sure she got through her adolescence safely. The three girls never failed to entertain the women with their sisterly antics and everyone around them knew that if she could, she'd probably adopt all of them herself or something.

The class started with McGonagall assigning seats. "You three," she pointed at the girls, "Over there," she stated, motioning to a table towards the front of the class. They sat down and Claire flashed a sweet smile at Lily who had to sit next to Amos Diggory, a fine boy, only he was in the seventh year and wasn't the brightest of lads. Lily glared at the girl and turned away from her.

"This year will be very, very difficult for some of you. You will work the hardest you've ever worked, even harder than the O.W.L.s. From your N.E.W.T.s classes to any extracurriculars you may partake in, you will also be figuring out your plan and career paths for after Hogwarts. Since you are upperclassmen as well, I expect nothing but good behavior if you would like to move on to seventh year," The woman spoke. She stared at the students for a moment, "We are entering dark times I will admit, be careful and work hard."

"What do you think she meant but that? Dark times?" Hannah asked when the class ended and they were off to lunch.

"Dunno, you think it has to do with all those missing wizards cases?" Claire pondered.

Riley shrugged, "Well she told us to work hard so I suppose that's all we can do about it."

"That's the first time I've ever heard you say work and hard in the same sentence," Hannah joked, nudging her friend.

"Yeah, don't get too excited," Riley said with a small laugh as she rolled her eyes.