-xxi. letting go & grasping on

If you say yes and be the woman I need

Hannah was more than ready. After much contemplation, she decided that she deserved far better than hookups and secrets. Claire had already spilled about her and James' fake relationship so she figured she'd let all her secrets go too.

She was going to come clean to Lucius Malfoy and let him know that they were done for good. It was much harder than she thought. She was afraid she was going to cave in and run right back to him.

When she saw him cooly leaning up against a wall in an empty corridor, her stomach dropped. Taking in a deep breath, she pushed herself to continue towards him. He looked up at the approaching footsteps and smiled.

"Hello," she uttered, not looking at him just yet.

"Hey."

His voice only made this more difficult. When her conscience tried convincing her this was a bad idea, she fought it and reminded herself of all the tears and late nights he put her through. She would lose sleep because all she could think about was him. All she could think about was if there's anything wrong with her that made him keep their relationship hidden. She couldn't go on like that.

When he leaned in for a short kiss, she was quick to cut him off. "We have to talk," Hannah began. Such a cliché to start a conversation like that.

"Alright then," he said, growing wary. They were engulfed with silence as Hannah thought of what to say.

She let out a grudging sigh and got right to the point. "We can't see each other anymore."

He took a moment to process what she had just said, "What do you mean?"

"Whatever this is," she motioned between the two of them, "has to end. I don't know what we are but I'm sick of keeping secrets from everyone and sneaking around-"

She was cut off by his lips on hers. She suppressed the urge to kiss back and only pulled away. "It has to end," she concluded. She finally looked him right in the eye and all she saw was the disappointment of losing a simple hookup, nothing more.

He didn't really feel bad about losing her, he felt bad about losing the times he had with her. That boosted her confidence and allowed her to step back from him completely.

"Hannah-"

"Goodbye, Lucius."

Turning around, she walked away and out of sight from him. She rounded the corner of the corridor and let herself smile. For the first time since the fourth year, she felt relieved. No more secrets and no more Lucius Malfoy.

Over in the Gryffindor common room sat Riley Sumner awaiting the arrival of her new -somewhat- friend Marlene McKinnon. The two had now grown quite accustomed to meeting there on weekends while everyone else was out. Spending time together was almost therapeutic.

They would talk, eat sweets, play wizards chess, sometimes they'd even do homework together. Unfortunately, they could only really do this when they were alone, or else they'd have to explain a lot to their friends.

So, as Riley was setting up the chessboard, she smiled up at the silhouette that had finally arrived in front of her. "Sorry I'm late, Alice wanted help with her charms essay," Marlene explained, slightly out of breath. Riley found it rather flattering that she had rushed so much just to see her.

"That's alright," said Riley. Marlene settled down across from her on the floor. As the game began, it wasn't long until silence engulfed them. It wasn't that the silence was uncomfortable or awkward, it was just rather-large? Almost like there was something on the tip of both girls' tongues and it was trying to be expressed but neither knew how.

Riley snuck a quick glance at Marlene and let out a small laugh when she saw the blonde already staring back at her. "What?" Marlene asked.

"Nothing-"

"No, what is it?"

Riley gazed at the girl for a moment trying to think of an explanation. To be completely honest, she didn't really know why she was laughing either. "I really don't know. I think- I mean I know I sound stupid but- I think when I'm with you it feels. . ."

"It feels right?" Marlene finished for the girl. Their eyes locked and Riley could only nod.

"Yeah," she said just above a whisper. Riley then suddenly shook her head and let out another laugh but this time it was rather cautious. "See? Told you it was stupid."

Marlene frowned, "I don't think it is. I feel the same way."

That was all Riley needed to hear to know that what she felt for the blonde girl in front of her was something she'd never felt for anyone else before. She tried distracting herself from the feeling raging in her chest by going back to the game.

Until she felt a gentle hand on top of hers. "It's okay to feel that way," assured Marlene. Riley was at a loss for words when she saw her begin to move closer. From across the table, the lips of both girls met, and to say 'sparks flew' was an understatement.

It must've been the shortest kiss ever, considering it only lasted about two seconds but it was most certainly the best for both of them. They pulled away but their faces stayed close.

They didn't say anything. They didn't really need to. It was more of a silent exchange of words that said 'Oh God, I think I'm in love."