-iv. smooth

❛ Will you be mine? ❜

Will you be mine?

Lunch had gone by quickly seeing as the girls missed breakfast and they were now off to potions. When they arrived to the classroom, Slughorn greeted them with his naturally jolly self. "Good afternoon, girls. How's your day going so far?" He asked.

"Wonderful, thank you for asking, Professor, and you?" Claire asked with a smile on her face.

"Well, I had a first-year blow up their cauldron and a third-year throw up because their potion smelt so terrible, so I guess my day has been wonderful as well," Slughorn explained. "Gather around class, I will be assigning your partners for the rest of the year," he said, motioning the other students to come forward.

"Great," Riley muttered, knowing the three of them wouldn't be placed together this time.

"Mr. Snape and Miss Sumner," Slughorn started. Riley looked at him as if he had two heads and was soon forced to move to her new seat when Hannah pushed her lightly. Slughorn continued to call the names of students who most likely didn't want to be paired together.

"Mr. Lupin with Miss Moore." Hannah happily walked over to a table next to a window with Remus Lupin. They were two of the smartest students in the class, the pair was bound to do something great together. Names after names were called and Claire looked around to see that she was the only one left. Scratch that. She wasn't alone because-

"Mr. Potter and Miss Labelle." Slughorn finished. Claire's eyes widened. Oh God no, she thought. How the hell was she supposed to survive the rest of the year if she was going to have to sit next to The James Potter in potions? On her way to the last table opened, she made eye contact with Hannah and the look of horror on Claire's face was enough to make the girl chuckle at her. Her shocked look turned into a glare that she sent to her friend who was not helping the situation one bit. Claire sat down followed by James who seemed to be okay with all of this.

How? Claire thought. How's he okay with this? Oh, right because he doesn't like you.

Slughorn dove into a lecture about what the new term would bring and how much fun they would have. Claire wasn't paying attention at all. She was far too busy making sure she was breathing correctly so James Potter wouldn't think she's a total loser. She glanced over at him and for a split second -that no one but her noticed- she admired him and his soft features. The way his jaw was clenched while he focused and his eyebrows furrowed at what the professor was saying. His lips, nose, and eyes. They were all so perfect Claire just wanted to-

"Class dismissed." Slughorn cut off, making Claire snapback to reality. James looked over at her and smiled lightly.

"See you around," He nodded before leaving to join his friends who waited for him by the door so they could leave. Claire couldn't think of anything to say so she only stared at him and watched as he walked away.

"Smooth, Claire," Riley, who watched the encounter, said, patting the girl on the back. Claire huffed as Hannah walked up to them.

"I am not having a wonderful day anymore."

When the girls were off to Defense Against the Dark Arts, a clang of green stood in their way. The Slytherins. They were the ones most people feared and avoided in the hallways for their constant taunting. The group consisted of Lucius Malfoy, Narcissa, Bellatrix and Regulus Black, Evan Rosier, Severus Snape and others who would only sit back and laugh at their friends' antics.

"Oh God, act natural," Hannah said, covering her face with her black hair. The other girls rolled their eyes as they moved to the other side of the hall avoiding the group as ordered.

"Hannah! How are you?" Narcissa Black asked, noticing the girls. The blonde girl was always somewhat kind to the three, mostly Hannah, however, no one really knew why, especially considering it was common knowledge that Narcissa was infatuated with Lucius.

"Hi Narcissa, I'm doing great and yourself?" Hannah replied, faking a smile. Riley and Claire tried their hardest to suppress the snickers directed at their friend's failed attempt at ignoring social interaction.

"I'm great, Severus was just telling us about your chat with Fortescue and I'm very proud of you," Narcissa congratulated. That was the thing about Narcissa, she was proud of everything her friends did.

"Well, the public was gonna find out soon enough," Hannah nodded, avoiding the curious eye of Lucius Malfoy. "We gotta go, right girls?"

"No, class doesn't start for another seven minu-" Claire began but was cut off by Hannah tugging at her arm, leading her away from the group, Riley throwing a smile over her shoulder.

"See you later, Narcissa," Hannah called out.

"Smooth," Claire mocked as Hannah swatted away Claire's finger that was poking at her cheek.