-xv. jingle bells

❛ I'll take you in and cook you baked ❜

I'll take you in and cook you baked

The train ride was short. The three talked and laughed. They ate lots of sweets from the trolley -per usual. The time came where they would be apart for two weeks and they left with a cheerful goodbye. It wasn't like the year was over and two weeks would be two months. So, now Claire was reunited with her grandparents. Something she'd been waiting for since the start of the -so far- crazy school year.

The holiday break was very enjoyable. They visited the neighbors and the two little girls who lived across the street were overjoyed about Claire being back. They loved playing with her and having chats and Claire loved it as well. Gran had her baking cookies almost every other day and the best part about that was being able to sneak them into her room at night. Gramps made Claire play weird card games with him that always ended in him winning, a bit suspicious.

Overall, the last few days where she'd gone back to normal were very much needed. No magic, no homework, and no James. This all meant no pressure. Just her, Gran and Gramps and holly jolly Christmas.

Christmas Eve was just as fun as well. The three visited some of their old friends who they were all very close with. Mr. and Mrs. Hadle were around the same age as Shelly and Darrell and were kind enough to look after Claire when she was younger.

They ate dinner there and drank hot chocolate while Mr. Hadle rambled about all sorts of things. Claire doesn't quite remember what but she does recall laughing a lot. They left later that night and dropped off canned goods at the food pantry in town then headed back home.

Now, Claire laid in bed staring at the ceiling. What kid could fall asleep on the night before Christmas?

The next morning came soon enough. Claire woke up with the sun and barged into her grandparent's room singing Jingle Bells.

"Come on! Those presents won't open themselves!" Claire bellowed.

"Claire, it is six in the morning," groaned Shelly.

"I know, I slept in!" She ran out of the room and marched down the stairs continuing to hum the same tune. She jumped to the record player and began playing a random Christmas vinyl they had played for the past thirteen years. It was a tradition.

Slowly, the old couple trudged into the room and even they couldn't mask their joy. Darrell held a camera in his hands and Shelly sat in her rocking chair to pass out the presents. Claire didn't waste any time tearing open her first gift.

"Oh, they're wonderful!" she swooned, staring down at the three jumpers that were all different shades of purple. She looked up and just as she was about to thank her grandmother, Gramps snapped a photo. She rolled her eyes at him and took it upon herself to reach over and pass them their own gifts.

"This is for you, and this one for you. I got Hannah to wrap them because I wanted them to ya know, look good," Claire explained. She watched them unwrap the presents and Gran immediately fawned over her new teapot that would be an addition to her collection.

She looked over at Gramps and saw him staring at the book intently. He looked over at his granddaughter and nodded. There seemed to be something in his eye because it was tearing up.

"I couldn't have asked for anything better," he stated. Claire grinned at him and accepted the next gift that was passed to her by Gran. When they were done with the gifts, she ended up with four new books, a pair of brand new white Nike shoes -that were very much needed, two more pairs of jeans and a couple blouses, and of course, candy.

When the leftover mess was cleared up and Gran was about to start up on her Christmas feast, she noticed one last thing under the three. "Claire," she called out. "This is for you."

Claire stared down at the small rectangular box in confusion. Then it hit her. James. She ripped apart the wrapping paper and opened the small box and saw a golden chain with a small charm that read the letter J.

A small laugh escaped her lips. There was that feeling again. It was like her stomach was telling her something and that something was 'you're in love with James Potter, Idiot.'

She immediately rushed upstairs to write to him but then found a letter on her desk. In familiar handwriting, she saw her name sprawled upon the envelope.

Claire,

I opened your gift and honestly, I don't know what to say. I hope you've opened mine already, or else you'd have no idea what I'm talking about, but this is strange. Did Sirius tell you about it? I hope not. Anyways, I'm pretty sure you got it for the intention of a joke, but I'm wearing it as I write, and I am proud.
I hope your holiday is going well. I haven't done too much here, but it is rather peaceful. It's boring without you sometimes, even the boys can agree on that. Can't wait to see you.

Merry Christmas
-James

Claire wrote back quickly.

James,

Sirius did not tell me, in fact, Riley thought it was an awful idea, but she just didn't get the joke. I suppose we're superior because we, unlike most, have a sense of humor. I'm wearing mine as well, but if you see it tucked under my shirt when I get back, do not ask questions.
My holiday is going great. Gran won't stop cooking, I'm not complaining though, and Gramps makes me play solitaire with him at least three times a day, even though he cheats. I hope you find a way to fill my empty void and do not worry, I will be back soon enough. Tell the others I say Merry Christmas.

-Claire

She tucked it in an envelope and sent it off with her owl, Marge. After that, the day was hers. She went back downstairs and planned on turning on the television to have a Christmas movie marathon but Gramps had other ideas. He just had to dampen the spirit.

"Claire," he began. He sat on the other side of the sofa.

"Yes?' She asked, flipping through channels looking for the right one.

"Uhm, well, you know how Gran hasn't been doing too well recently, correct?"

Claire looked over at him and muttered, "Yeah."

"Well she's getting worse and-" he took a moment and breathed in slowly. Claire could already tell what was happening. "We don't know if she'll even be okay until your seventh year."

Claire didn't know what to say. All she'd ever known was happy and healthy Gran. Not sad and sick Shelly. She frowned deeply and found herself staring at the hallway that led to the kitchen.

"We didn't want you to be caught off guard in case anything did happen."

"But nothing will happen. She's strong. She'll be okay," assured Claire. She turned back to the TV and continued on her quest to find the right channel. Gramps let the topic drop, thankfully. It was Christmas, they didn't need any of that.

The family dinner was different that year. Not the food or the people. Just Claire and the thought of this might being the last Christmas dinner she'd ever get from her beloved Gran.