-xix. gloomy desserts

❛ I'll tell you secrets that no one else has heard of ❜

I'll tell you secrets that no one else has
heard of

After telling Riley and Hannah about the news, they -apart from being devastated- were very understanding. They understood why Claire wanted to stay in bed for the rest of the week and why she didn't go to any meals. They always brought her food though.

For everyone else at Hogwarts, it was a shock. They had all grown so accustomed to seeing James and Claire hand and hand in the hallways but that was all gone now. Many people were rather upset about it with the claim that they were so perfect for each other.

It was all pretend anyway so maybe that's why Claire didn't feel anything. It was awful, however. She didn't smile or laugh for God knows how long, all she ever did was smile and laugh. It was like she was broken.

Oh, let's not forget about James as well. He was beyond devastated. After the fight, he spent another few hours in the common room contemplating what he did wrong. He was so confused. He was honestly about ready to tell her how he truly felt but it was too late now.

Maybe it was for the best, he thought. She probably didn't like him anyway, right? Wrong. He had no idea how wrong he was. He had no idea that she'd been swooning over him for the last six years and broke up with him because it was starting to feel too real. She ended things for herself.

In the long run, it was selfish, but let's evaluate this. What if they continued to 'date', Claire fell completely in love, he got a chance with Lily, and then ends things with Claire. I mean, yeah that was the objective of the whole situation, but Claire would just be left heartbroken.

Sad Claire would be back. Everybody hates Sad Claire.

Friday had come quicker than she wished. She did her part and dressed in all-black attire. Then, while the majority of the school was in classes, she slipped away from her dormitory and all the way to Dumbledore's office.

"Come in, come in, Miss Labelle," he said before she even got the chance to knock. "Your grandfather is waiting for your arrival as we speak."

He instructed her to grab a handful of Floo Powder and step into the fireplace, call out her destination and let the fire do its job. "It's perfectly safe," he assured her when she gave him a skeptical look.

She did as told and amazingly, she stepped out of the fireplace in her living room. "Gramps?" she called out. She heard shuffling and in came Darrell.

"Claire!" he said happily. That was the first genuine smile he'd given anyone all week. Claire hugged her grandfather tightly and closed her eyes in an attempt to not break down.

"I'm so sorry," she whispered.

"It was her time. Now she won't be suffering, right?" he said brightly. He began leading her to the kitchen where she could smell an assortment of baked goods. They were very familiar because her nose could tell they were all Gran's recipes.

"Did you do all this, Gramps?" Claire questioned.

"I did, it keeps her spirit alive!"

"Sit, I'll get you tea," Claire suggested. He did as told and stared at the table intently, obviously deep in thought.

The kitchen had lost all its color without the familiar old lady bustling around. Everything was the same. The pots, pans, the counters. What was missing was the love.

She grabbed two teacups and poured the warm liquid in each. She sprinkled them both with two scoops of sugar and made her way back to her grandad. He glanced up and accepted the drink and then his eyes went back to the table.

"What are you thinking about, Gramps?"

He paused. "You know, she's with Melissa right now. For the first time in thirteen years, she gets to see Melissa," he smiled.

"She's very lucky, huh?"

"No, she's blessed," he corrected.

The funeral was nothing special. It was fitting, however. The sky was clear and blue and the wind was steady. Claire zoned out the few speeches people presented and declined the offer of giving her own. What's to tell anyways?

Everyone else had already told enough. She'd just be repeating them all.

Afterward, she greeted and thanked Gran's loved ones for coming then went back to the house with Gramps. It was the saddest goodbye yet. She really didn't want to leave her grandad all alone.

"I can ask to visit soon. I'm sure Dumbledore will understand."

"No, no. We have wonderful neighbors, Mr and Miss Groff are visiting on Sunday for tea actually," he informed. She gave him the smallest of smiles.

"Okay, mail me," she ordered, then grabbed a handful of Floo Powder, and suddenly, she was back in Dumbledore's office.

"Welcome back, Miss Labelle," he chimed.

"Hello, Sir," she muttered. "Thank you for allowing me to go."

"Of course. From what I heard from Professor McGonagall, she was a lovely woman, correct?"

"The loveliest."

Back in her dormitory, she sat at the window looking out at everything and smiled contentedly. Thinking back to what Gramps had said, 'Now she's with Melissa. After thirteen years.'

That's what kept her going.