Chapter Nine

Jillian

~Dua Lipa - Physical~

The sound of my ringing phone pulled me out of the deep sleep I was in. Squinting my eyes, I checked the caller ID. Shit, it was Jason. How the hell had he gotten my phone number? I dropped it back down on the bed; I wasn't answering his call. Instead, I rolled off the bed and traipsed into the kitchen to get a drink. The time on the clock caught my eye; five o'clock in the afternoon. It was Sunday and I'd spent most of the day in bed, drifting in and out of sleep. The rain was falling on the roof and I couldn't believe my luck that I'd been blessed with rain on my day off. Rainy Sunday's in bed were a favourite of mine.

I downed the glass of water I'd just poured and cursed when my phone started ringing again, I ignored it.

Deciding I must smell bad, I headed into the bathroom for a shower. Just as I leant in to turn the taps on, my phone rang again. What the hell? Now he'd pissed me off. I stalked into the bedroom and retrieved my phone. "What the fuck do you want?" I snapped at him.

"Lovely yo speak to you too, Jillian. Do we really need the language every time we talk?"

"Yes, we fucking do," I swore for his benefit.

He sighed. "Your lawyer has my proposal. Has he contacted you?"

He had, but Jason didn't need to know that. I figured it was my turn to muck him around after all the shit he'd ever put me through. "No."

"Can I suggest you get in touch with him?"

"It's Sunday, Jason. Surely you don't mean for me to call him today. Even lawyers have fucking days off."

"Jillian, I think you are underestimating the seriousness of this situation."

"No, Jason, I think you're underestimating the lack of fucks I give about this situation." This man seriously made my blood boil. I had no clue how I ever thought I'd loved him.

Silence was followed by the nasty snarl I knew so well from years ago. "You're still gutter trash you were when I met you and saved you. Getting rid of you was the best move I ever made and it's no wonder that you don't have a man in your life, because I can't imagine anyone choosing you over the other women out there."

The rational part of me knew his words were worthless and not to be given any attention to, but there was a part of me that was powerless when it came to Jason

The rational part of me knew his words were worthless and not to be given any attention to, but there was a part of me that was powerless when it came to Jason. He used his words like weapons and they annihilated me every time. They shredded their way though the self belief I'd spent years building and circled their way through my body in a painful spiral of doubt, loathing and fear.

I froze, unable to form words to shoot back at him, and he took my silence and fired more poison at me. "Your life is shit, Jillian. It's been shit ever since I kicked you out. The offer I've made you is the best option you have to make it better. I suggest you get back to me soon to tell me you'll take it, because it won't always be on the table."