Chapter Fourteen

Nate

~Selena Gomez - The Heart Wants What It Wants~

I dropped my head down into my hands. The question Jasmine had just asked me was one I didn't want to think about, let alone answer.

 The question Jasmine had just asked me was one I didn't want to think about, let alone answer

"Nate," she said, quietly, "You do feel something for her, don't you?"

The pressure I felt when I thought about Jillian buzzed in my head. It was easier not to think about her, and fuck, I'd tried. Ever since I'd pushed her away, I spent most of my time trying not to think about her. But she consumed my thoughts, day and night. It was worse at night when I was alone, and the darkness encouraged my mind to wander into dangerous territory. Thoughts of the past collided with thoughts about Jillian, and the weight of everything was almost unbearable.

I looked back up at Jasmine. She was watching me, waiting patiently for me to reply. Finally, I admitted the truth. "Yes, I do."

She smiled. It was a smile full of kindness and love. "Have you ever felt like this about a woman before?"

I sucked in a breath. This was shit I didn't want to go over, but I'd gotten to the point where I knew I had to. I couldn't ignore it any longer. "Once. A very long time ago."

She nodded. "Who was it? Tell me about her.

I'd come here tonight with the intention of talking. Hell, I'd actually asked Jasmine if I could come over to talk, but now I wanted to get the fuck out of here.

At my silence, Jasmine spoke again. "Nate, you once told me that people like us need to get this stuff out otherwise we fall back into old habits. You need to talk, and I want to be here for you because you've always been there for me."

I hated it when my words were thrown back at me, even if it was done out of kindness. Ah, fuck it. I opened up. "It was my ex wife, Jessica. I met her when I was Seventeen; first chick I ever did crazy shit for. She fuckin' knew how to push my buttons to get what she wanted and I was a fool for her."

Jasmine's face was full of surprise. "Wow, I didn't realise you'd been married before."

"It's not a fact I run around advertising, babe."

"So, she screwed you over, huh?"

"In all senses of that word."

"What do you mean?"

My chest was heavy with the anger I'd never resolved where Jessica was concerned. "She fucked around on me. I found out and we agreed to work on it but then I found out she kept that shit up. And then she screwed our family right over."

Fuck.

My heart was pumping heard and fast in my chest. I stood up and began pacing the room, taking deep breaths to try and calm myself down.