- bonus chapter ii

- two years and a few weeks later -

Dressed in only a plain black shirt and a pair of jeans managed to earn him a couple of stares from people in the streets. Mostly because it was October and the winds were blowing like crazy but Jax Harper looked like he didn't even feel the cold. That's because he couldn't. Being a werewolf has it perks, one of them involves having immense body heat. That and he also blamed the countless bottles of beers that kept his stomach warm.

He tried to recall the list of things Magnus had ordered him to buy. But he couldn't really remember what else he had to buy other than vodka and body glitter. Jax tried to look past the crowd of people to find the shop, just in case he missed it. But the only thing his eyes settled on was a mop of raven hair. Jac stopped on his tracks. He'd recognized that those gorgeous locks anywhere.

He probably should turn around and walk away. Forget that he even saw him. And yet he still couldn't take his eyes off of him. Alec was still as handsome as the day Jax screamed at him and dumped him a couple of months ago.

Shaking the thought away from his head, Jax made a turn to leave. But it had been too late, the Shadowhunter had crossed the street and slowed down his pace, obviously spotted him. Jax's heart pounded as it did the first time he saw him.

"Hey." Alec stopped in front of him, shoving his hands down his pockets—a gesture that Jax knew he did whenever he felt awkward. Or maybe it was simply because he was cold and Jax was overthinking things. Again.

"Hi," Jax replied, unsure whether he was supposed to start a conversation or not. Or if it was even appropriate after the last time they 'spoke'. But Alec did before he could decide.

"How have you been?"

And there it was. The cliche, obligated question. Kind of the one you ask when you don't know what else to say. Jax had to think for a while. How much had changed in the last few months? Alec had still been around when Jax quit his job at the Pandemonium. He had still been around when Jax finally gathered the courage to drive back to Manhattan and make amends with his mother and sister—hell, Alec had been the one who suggested the idea and even accompanied him there. Much to Ava and Cassie Harper's delight.

Alec had also still been around when Lydia Branwell got him a position in the Institute—though its mostly just as a consultant of the Downworlders and was only called on when he was needed. Jax hadn't been to the Institute in a while now either, so he supposed they didn't really need him yet.

"Great," he lied easily. "I actually got a job down the street, at a Italian restaurant. Pays good as well."

Alec smiled softly, "I always knew you'd do well with your cooking skills."

"And," Jax added before the compliment would get to his head and flush his cheeks. "I've been visiting mom and Cassie a lot more, staying over a couple of times too."

"That's nice, how are they doing?"

"They're fine," Jax said with a growing smile at the thought of his family. "Cassie's just starting her freshman year at highschool. She's doing really well and fortunately there's no boys that I have to threaten just yet. Mom's doing alright too. With the money I've been giving, she's finally stopped working too hard. She still ask about you. So does Cassie. Kept wondering when you'll come visit. You'd almost think they missed you more than I did."

There was something wrong with Alec's expression, and his body had gone rigid.

Then Jax realized what he just blurted out, his body went rigid too.

"So, how was Paris?" Jax quickly asked before Alec could respond. "Everything you expected and wanted?"

Alec cleared his throat and much to Jax's relief, went along with the subject switch. "It was good. New experience, met a lot of important people from the Clave. I even got some work offers from some of the departments there."

Jax dipped his head and looked down at his shoes. "Ah, So you got exactly what you wanted."

"I'm not taking any of them. They all require me to move permanently to Paris, and I will stay here and continue my job as the Head of the Institute." Alec's answer was immediate and firm, making Jax glance up at his determined face.

"But.." Alec hesitated for a brief moment, then jutted a thumb over his shoulder with an apologetic half smile. "I'm late for a meeting. Some Clave members are expecting me in about five minutes and.. "

He faltered, and Jax supressed a sigh.

"Right, of course, work," Jax muttered. "Gotcha."

"... Right."

Alec stayed in his spot for a few seconds longer. Jax thought he was going to sah something else, but eventually, with a nod, Alec started moving away from him in silence. Jax watched him turned the corner and the werewolf finally let ouf a breath he didn't know he was holding.

Magnus was right. He wasn't over Alec at all.

Jax hated it when Magnus was right, even if he knew already, somewhere deep inside. He couldn't just forget about his first love, even if his first love forget about him all the time.