Day 3

Summer had visited Mumbai and like any unwanted guest, it was there to stay longer than invited. People of Mumbai were habitual to that temperature and more however lack of occupation increased the focus on the heat and people became extra critical than usual. Xenia's house was no different however they had other things to focus on. On the third day of the lockdown, Xenia's mother had a new adventure to embark upon. It was five past eleven, she had been awake not more than twenty minutes and was standing on a stool with a broom in her hand. Her father was sitting on the floor going through a box Xenia had handed him and her mother was on the other side of the room cleaning the kitchen platform. 

"Xenia look there is said spider web in that corner," Her father said," remove that and clean that self properly. It has turned all black. Look I cleaned the one below it and now it's white." Xenia held her lips between her teeth to stop herself from saying anything. "Xenia do you need the wet cloth. It's with me. Let me know when you need it," her mother said in a soft tone.

"Yeah, clean properly. Look at how I did."

"Amma why is he in the kitchen?"

"Because I am good at it. Look how shiny it is. Do it just like me."

Her mother was soft and nice, her father was harsh and proud. Until she had to work with her father she considered her mother difficult, dominating and severe. Working Ten minutes with her father she now had a newfound respect for her mother.

"Xenia look there. That area is really dirty. Scrub it properly, " her father said to which she replied with a stare and an oversized nose. "I love you na. Come on be a nice girl. Do it."

With narrow eyes, she stared him for a moment before resuming her work. They cleaned the platforms, the shelves, the walls, utensils that they seldom use then swept the floor before mopping it. It was five minutes to three when they came out of the kitchen, exhausted and hungry.

"People always say we have a small kitchen. Where are these people? Ask them to clean it next time and then we will talk!" Xenia exclaimed after lying down on the sofa.

"It looks so clean now! Just as new. I did such a great job!" Her father boasted about himself.

"Yeah, yeah," her mother said sarcastically.

"I did most of it. You just washed those utensils. I did the shelves, the floor and also the fridge."

"Well done." Xenia was sarcastic though her father thanked her for the compliment. It was after that they cooked the first meal of the day. Without them realising it was five in the evening. Their exhaustion led them to fall asleep soon after lunch and the day ended in a blink of an eye.

After dinner, Xenia was still tired and in need of sleep but it was very early to sleep so she went to her den. Upon entering the room she noticed the neighbour's room was dark. "Ah! You still don't have electricity?"

"No. The bulb of this room is out."

She did not expect to be loud or have a company. Alarmed by the sudden reply she ran to the deewan. She situated herself next to the window making her invisible to the viewer. 

"Why are you here then?" Her tone did not indicate however she was angry at him for being there.

"This room has the most comfortable chair in the house. Others are very questionable."

"The house has been locked for years. If I am not wrong the house was last occupied ten or fifteen years ago." As she was feeling embarrassed she tried to distract him.

"Fifteen years more or less. And the furniture or anything in this house hasn't changed since."

"What is the point in changing the furniture? It is a haunted house where no human exists."

"It is. No human can survive here. If it was not for this lockdown I am sure I would have not stayed here."

"What happened to the hotels? What happened to the people in the hotels? No travel, no leaving the house. Are they stuck in a hotel? Their bill will be huge by the end of this! Poor them."

He widened his eyes and smiled as he said, "it is fascinating to see how much you care about the people and their bills. Humanity does exist."

This time she smiled before saying, "it is something to think about. I mean, what is happening ?"

"They must be still there but maybe no rent. They will pay only what is due on them and nothing more."

"What about the food then? They won't give that for free. But that would be unfair because they don't have any other choice but eat what the hotel provides and their charges are so high."

"I think the employees must have left. I mean the employees have their own houses in the city. They can go home."

"Haw! Then what about their food? They might be cooking for themselves. It sounds fun. But I don't think they have any guests in the hotel. They must have asked everyone to leave."

"Four hours after the announcement travelling was banned."

"True. But they cannot have so many people together in one place. It is risky. But it is like a building. A lot of people live together there, too. I guess hotels can work that way. Who knows what is happening."

"I must say your brain has a unique way of functioning. It thinks a lot."

"It keeps me entertained. That's all that matters." She tried not to sound defensive however she could not hide it.

"True. You should google it. I am sure you can find something."

Feeling embarrassed she did not open her mouth again. She gave herself a lecture for opening her mouth. She wished to leave the room however she also did not wish to be seen so she stayed hidden.

"Oye, your clothes are fall from your cupboard. I was looking for my socks and the minute I opened it your clothes started falling. Why are you so messy? Your cupboard is always like that. Go and set it." Her brother came, said and left in less than a minute. She closed her eyes and later covered her face, feeling more embarrassed than ever. At that moment she wished she was invisible or her neighbour was a ghost. Those were the only two possible ways she could think of to escape the situation. Oddly, she preferred ghost over invisibility.

***
Again I am not sure about the chapter as I had an assignment to submit today and it took really long. Why are we getting assignments! I prefer going to college in this situation than doing them!

I hope you all had a great Sunday!

Take care and stay healthy❤