Day 12

Hour after hour, day after day, time passed without any fruitful result. Everyone found a way or two to pass their time, however not following the daily routine and the usual schedule, their interest declined in other things.  Most, nearly all, were habitual to working more than necessary. They were not idle completely however travelling, socialising, random walks took a back seat. What they did, they did not like, and what they liked they could not do. And even if they could, slowly everyone lost interest in anything new.

On the twelfth day, Xenia woke up on the wrong side of the bed. Her morning started early. She was restless for the most part of the night and when her eyes opened she was more restless. Deciding to stay up rather than sleeping she did some house chores while her family was asleep. She washed the dishes, swept the floor, filled the water bottles not just for them but also for their neighbour. When she was done she was exhausted however she was immune to sleep. Next hour she did nothing but check her social media accounts. It was five past eight when she slept. Lack of sleep and rest led to her sleeping until it was noon. Waking up she wasted no time. She had missed the work out the previous day which compelled her to work out that day. When she came out of the shower lunch was served. Everything happened in a blink of an eye, giving her no time to use her brain.

After lunch absent-mindedly, she went to the spare room where she spent the entire afternoon. She was quiet and glued to the same position until her brother entered the room ten minutes past five. "Xenia, fry those rice for me."

"Okay. Do you know what I do? I just add oil, salt and some chilli flakes and your favourite rice is ready. Did you know that?"

"No."

"Now you know." She turned her head towards her phone. "Make it yourself."

"Mumma!" Her brother exclaimed and went to their mother. Her mother was exhausted and desired to sleep but when she was forced to leave the sofa, her temper raised. "Where is the lighter!?" Her mother 's tone did not hide her anger. Xenia was aware a few words were coming in her direction. "Why is everything out of place? Do one little thing and ruin the whole kitchen. Good!" Xenia did not react and continued replying to her friend. "You are making it? Ask Xenia to do it." Her father said when he saw her mother in the kitchen.

"Who else will do it? No one here helps. Everyone wants everything in their hand. I work day in and day out and no one budges. No one helps!"

Xenia kept her phone aside hearing that. Her eyes filled with tears and her heart with resentment. She was a typical teenager whose last thought was to help her mother. However, the twenties brought a change. But an image set in the mind seldom changes. Xenia was not a very responsible girl, however, she was trying. She was aware of her flaws, she was aware she was not giving her best but she tried and when again and again her efforts were overlooked her resentment increased and a will to change decreased.

Her mother's words and her tears proceed together. Her mother stopped after some time, her tears did not. She kept sobbing, as her mind reminded her of every word her mother ever said against her. She was quiet as a lamb, but her regular hiccups were audible.

"She must be having a tough day," Maier said abruptly, "She must be exhausted or maybe in a bad mood."

"It's unfair."

He nodded her head. "I can understand. I agree with you. Some of her comments were unfair. You help her a lot. She was not completely right. But we all tend to be wrong once in a while. Think of it differently. You at least have a mother to scold. I cannot even be with my mother."

She frowned and looked at the wall. "That does not make her right. That does not change anything. It is not fair to compare."

Maier took a moment to think of what was said and then replied, " that is true. It is a wrong way of consoling I suppose." He had a frown as he continued. "But she is still your mother. Wrong, I agree but have you never been wrong? Ever since you were born, especially as a kid, you were unreasonable, you were mean and threw a lot of tantrums. Did she hold those grudges against you or does she tell those stories with a smile on her face? Those were the days when they forgave us when they endured us. That was our time and this is their time. We were empty-headed and now they are fully exhausted. Their patience has worn out. Back then we were not wrong. And now they are not. I think it's just a phase where one annoys the other." He paused for a minute to give her time to absorb everything. "React just like them. They got angry, maybe hurt but forgot about it. They let it go, you let it go, too." Her anger and tears reduced as Maier's words moved ahead. "Do not let it go in your heart. Get angry for a moment, that's natural. Then let it go." Xenia wiped her tears and moved back in her seat, feeling relaxed again. "Okay?" He said when she did not reply. 

She nodded her head and then whispered, "yeah."

"Now, go and get some water."

"I don't want water."

"I was asking for myself, but okay."

Xenia chuckled making Maier smile. Wiping her tears she stood up imminently and went to the kitchen. She drank a glass of water and brought back a bottle for him.  "Thank you," Maier said taking the bottle from her. He drank some water before saying, "I read your book."

"Aha. Did you like it?"

"So far, so good. But it will be over soon. Which is why I read just a few pages per day. It is my only source of entertainment. I have given up all hopes on my phone."

"It's not working at all?"

"It is. But I am out of patience."

"That is bad. But I will get you another book, do not worry."

"It is okay. Your parents might mind. I will manage."

"My parents will be very happy. They love reading and the people who read. As long as you take good care of the book and return it, you are fine."

"They sound like me. Their respect in my eyes increased."

Giggling Xenia crossed her legs. Their conversation despite the expectation ended there. Maier went back to work and Xenia after some time went to the living room. She did not initiate the conversation nor did she forget, however when her mother started talking to her as if nothing happened, she talked to her as if nothing happened. On the other hand, Maier's boss was in a good mood which lifted everyone's spirit and upon that a successful outcome of their demo increased their happiness. The evening was normal, cheerful if compared to the morning, for both of them. Their spirits were high and they were energetic. A new recipe added more to their happiness. Her mother had marinated chicken in the morning and in the evening it was cooked. Though it was the first attempt, it turned out delicious. Both the houses were in high spirits. Everyone had a smile on their faces. The morning can nerve predict the evening, so the morning must never fear the evening. You never know what happens and what changes. So do not cry in the afternoon due to the fear created in the morning for what may happen in the evening.