Day 18

The sun had risen not more than a few minutes ago. The sky was pink, white and yellow. Birds signing, were flying freely. With Fan running on a high speed, reducing the temperature and sweat, it was fair to say it was a pleasant morning.

It was an hour ago when Xenia woke up. She was sitting in the living room, next to the window, letting the world outside comfort her. She had again woken up on the wrong side of the bed, she was hostile and anxious, however, the birds calmed her.

It had been approximately three weeks since the sky had last kept a caring hand on her head. The sky was visible but distant from home and the sun was untouchable. After days of lockdown, her mind had thought and forgotten the traditional thoughts. She now had new problems and emotions. One of her latest worries was the absence of Vitamin D. She was a daily walker who soaked herself in the sun. However being locked inside the house, she received scarce or no sunlight. That had, for the past few days, bothered her. Which was why despite it being summer she was sitting near the window, absorbing the heat.

"Why are you awake?" Her brother asked her, breaking the trail of her thoughts. He came out of the kitchen not his room and was holding a plate in his hand.

She shook her head in a no, "You haven't spelt yet?" She said looking back outside the window. " Do you not have work today?"

"No. Do you want some?" He titled his plate towards her as he said. It was the instant noodles she had been craving but was saving for the future. She wished to taste the new flavour however early morning made a different decision. After she refused her brother quietly went to his room, leaving her alone again. She was not hungry, however, after she saw her brother come out of the kitchen she was thirsty.

When she walked into the kitchen she was met with an unusual view. Maier was standing near the kitchen counter, lost in his thoughts, unaware of her presence. She found his water bottle on their window sill and filled it along with her own bottle. She drank some water then walked to him and extended his bottle towards him however she went unnoticed. "Hello," she said but was unheard. "Hello, " she said again. When there was no response on the other end she looked around her and found a spoon on their kitchen counter. Taking the spoon in her hand she banged in loudly on the counter and accidentally dropped in on the floor. The sudden noise and disturbance brought Maier back to the kitchen.

Xenia had bent down to pick up the spoon while he could not comprehend the situation which made him ask, "What happened? Are you fine?" Shaking her head she stood up straight and handed the bottle to him. He thanked before leaning on the counter.

"Are you fine?" Noticing his odd behaviour Xenia asked.

"Yeah. Yes. Just worried about my flight."

"What about it? Why are you worried?"

"I have a bad feeling. A lot of flights had been cancelled in the past. I do not want this one to get cancelled as well." He looked up. "I want to go home."

The distress, sorrow and pain were evident on his face. He wished to be at home and nowhere else she could tell that. He had been away and alone, and he could survive however a constant reminder of his situation and his people made him desperate to go home.  Leaning back on the counter she took a deep breath. "Do not be negative. My mother says what you think becomes true. Yes, the flights got cancelled in the past however it is not necessary that it would happen again. Have faith, you will be back home before you know."

"I am praying for that."

"Keep praying then. Your wish will come true. A few months from now this would seem like a dream, half-forgotten, half unreal."

His lips curled up. "I hope that happens."

"It will happen. Being negative helps no one. Spend the last few days happily. Who knows when you will get a chance to come back."

He chuckled before saying, "Once I am out of here. I am never coming back. I am never leaving home. No offence to this country, I love it, I just need my house, my family, right now."

She bobbed her head. "I understand. Nothing is better than home."

"Trust me nothing is. Stay at home. Never leave. You never know where and when you will get stuck."

She smiled, "I hope a situation like this never occurs again. And if it does and I get a chance to be in your position I pray it is in London where I get stuck. Or maybe Mauritius. I got a friend there!"

"You would not want to be stuck anywhere, not even in a castle with all the luxuries. It sounds like a good movie, Oscar-winning maybe but do not fantasise"

Xenia was quiet for some time, letting her thought flow. A new Maier was standing before her who she could not recognise. Was it Maier who was different or her view, it was hard to comprehend. "I did not realise you were unhappy. I was sure you were not having the greatest time but I did not know you were having such a tough time."

"I did not know either. Until the thought of not reaching home entered my mind I was content if not happy."

"Not reaching home is too far. Of course, you will reach home. You won't be here forever."

"I know. But after a ray of hope is seen a ray of failure strikes stronger than we think. I am not negative, not dramatic. I am sure I will be home sooner or later. But why not sooner than later? Why not today than tomorrow?"

Xenia kept thinking of those words for the rest of the day. She was not aware of Maier's state of mind. She did not think he was desperate to leave. She thought he was uncomfortable but content. She thought of nothing that was going inside and believed the face she saw outside.

His anxiety and fear got transmitted to Xenia. She was worried and was now praying for his return.

The evening made the nightmare come true. Maier's flight was cancelled. He thought loneliness would be the toughest thing he would have to endure but shattered pieces of hope changed the view. Maier could not stop thinking nor could he sleep that night. His patience had worn out, his peace had left.

***

Hello people.

Though the lockdown has been extended the story would not. I haven't spent a single day doing what I wished or wanted to do and I also need a break. There can be a chance of season 2, but the chances are very very less! However, it is an option. I am really sorry. I am not sure about the story and I really don't have faith in it. I just wrote whatever came in my mind without thinking. I hope I did not waste your time.

Take care<3