Day 20

There seems to have some confusion. The book will last for the original lockdown period that is 21 days. So one more chapter left before I sign off.

Enjoy:)

Sixteen minutes past Six, Everyone in the house was awake. For her parents it was usual, for her it was rare and for her brother, the night was yet to begin. It was the earliest the family had been awake together in that lockdown. They did not talk a lot, just essential. But her parents gave a lecture to her brother about the importance of sleeping at night and how not doing that would affect him after a few years. That was the noisiest they were. Soon after that her mother who had cleaned the house before six was tired and headed to her room. Her father stayed for thirsty minutes more however no words were exchanged. And then thirty-three minutes past six, it was her brother and she awake. They were both busy with their phones, paying little or no attention to each other.

With no one of her interest being awake, she resorted to social media. She went threw all the new feeds and then she went back to a post made by her cousins. As planned they got together through a video call, made coffee, laughed, took pictures and then posted them. Xenia who though participated in the event was not mentally present. Her mind was not with her. Her attention to what her cousins said and did was less. Her cousins laughed at jokes and taunts and sometimes without any reason, however with reasons Xenia could not smile. For the most part of it, she was lost and for the rest she was cautious. She did not want Maier to listen to her laugh. She did not want him to think that she was insensitive or that she did not care. She was careful about her actions. That resulted in unpleasant and odd pictures of her. She had bigger problems, her heart was your however deep, deep, deep down she was resenting her cousin for posting those pictures. She was in no mood to argue but she was determined to get them in line once recovered.

"Are you not going to sleep again?" Her brother asked breaking the trail of her thoughts.

"Are you not going to sleep at all? Why didn't you sleep?"

"I am not sleepy. I cannot sleep at nights."

"Of course you cannot. You slept through the whole day yesterday. You quite literally woke up a little more than twelve hours ago. When did you wake up yesterday?"

"Five thirty I think. But I woke up for lunch."

"And slept again. So five-thirty." She looked at the wall clock in front of her and started the calculation. "Fourteen hours. You can stay up for a few more hours before it is time for bed."

"I will eat and then sleep. "

"Well done. Our parents are very proud, "

He chuckled and continued watching the series on his phone. Xenia soon was exhausted with all sitting. For a break, she walking back and forth in the living room. She walked for a whole hour. When the clock showed exact sixty minutes had passed she went to the kitchen to get some water and then was going to relax in the living room. While entering the kitchen she thought of coincidentally meeting Maier and her thoughts, as if gaining the power, came true.

"Good morning, " he said with a soft smile. It was odd with respect to his recent behaviour. He had not talked to anyone unless compelled. A hundred words from another person brought one word out of Maier. Feeling suspicious of his behaviour Xenia walked a little closer to the window.

"Morning. How are you today?"

"Very well."

She smiled though she felt uncertain. "You sound happy. Did something happen?"

"There is a flight coming. Our government is trying to recuse all the nationals from different countries. India is one of the countries they are sending the flights to. My father is trying to book a ticket for me."

Xenia was certain he was going to say that he found a way to focus on the positives, that he had accepted the fact and that he would not lose hope. However, what he said was both startling and unpredictable. "But will he be able to get a ticket? I mean, there might be many people trying to get out. Wouldn't it be difficult and costly to get a ticket."

"It is. But my father works for the government. He knows a few officials. Keeping the fingers crossed on that."

Startled by the sudden news Xenia lost the sense of reaction. For the first half of the minute, she was entirely silent and then she suddenly smiled and said, "That is such great news! I am happy for you."

"I am happy to. Just pray it gets settled. It would be highly risky to miss this flight. When the next one will come is a doubt."

"But our airports are locked. No flights coming in or going out."

"Not sure about that but this one is sure to come. The Indian government approved it."

She nodded her head a couple of times. "When is it coming?"

"Tomorrow." Xenia looked up instantly. "Technically day after however, I will have to leave for the airport tomorrow."

"Oh. Oh, wow. That is news."

"It is. Would you like some coffee?"

"No, thank you."

"I will have coffee later as well. I need to get a few things done. I will see you later."

"Bye," Xenia said with a smile. Staying frozen for a minute she walked back to the living room which was now empty. It was a calm morning of a very hyper day. When her parents were informed about the news they joined Maier in his happiness. They were hopeful and positive just like him.  They all even started with the preparation. They were delighted and energetic which made Xenia anxious. She was trying not to be negative however thought of past repeating again bothered her. The high level of excitement they were all feeling could become the cause of a high level of disappointment. She did not wish to see them upset, she wished to protect them.

After the Lunch, she had volunteered to wash the dishes with an aim to find a chance to talk to Maier and she was lucky as her wish was granted. "You packed your bags?" She did not miss a second after he entered the kitchen.

"My things were more or less in the bags. I used them and kept them back again. There is no other place to store them."

"Okay. So you are ready to go."

"I am. I can leave this minute if asked."

Xenia was quiet following that. She was hesitant and fearful. Of what? She was unaware. "Do not be too excited, " She said softly.

"What do you mean?"

Giving in she exhaled. "I mean, not being negative but your flight is still not booked. I understand the excitement but wait for the confirmation." He looked down towards the floor as his mind started thinking. "It will just hurt you more, that is all I mean, " she said after they were quiet for a long time.

He shook his head. "I understand. You are right. I had a ticket last time and could not leave. This time I don't even have the ticket."

"Exactly."

"You are right. I should not raise hopes. Anything can happen. I may be stuck here for months." She instantly shook her head in a no but before she could say a word he continued, "it was silly to celebrate. There is nothing to celebrate."

"There is. There is hope. And that is something to celebrate. We didn't even have hope yesterday."

"Yeah," he said absentmindedly, "True." He kept the mug that was in his hand on the counter and started walking out of the kitchen. Xenia frowned and tried to stop him however he left. Xenia had never felt guilty to that extent before. The whole day she resented herself, accused and taunted. She wished to change the time, she wished to replay the event. Maier had been upset, very upset and when he got a chance to be happy, she took it away from him. She had that guilt in her heart for an exceedingly long time. She felt like a criminal, like a sinner.

The days were not like the nights and the nights so different from the days. What they felt and thought changed with the colour of the sky and that day was no different. The evening brought another news, another challenge. Maier's flight was booked. He was sure to leave.