Day 15

"The cases are increasing rapidly. What the hell is this? I am getting Scared," said Ashwini soon after their conversation started.

"It will increase before it comes down. It is only natural to increase. They won't magically come down," Said Xenia next.

"Change the channel. Don't watch News for a couple of days." Haim advised.

"My father watches the news daily. He also goes out daily. He has to make sure everything is safe and that everyone is following the rules. I am scared."

"Nothing will happen to him Ashwini. I am sure he takes all the precautions. And no one in your area has tested positive so far," Xenia said with a frown on her forehead.

"Do not watch the news. I am telling you," Haim said, "watch Atul Khatri's daily positive news. He is great."

"Who is he?"  Ashwini asked.

"He is a stand-up comedian. I watch his news daily. He will make you both feel better." 

"Atul Khatri means that Justin Bieber guy?" Xenia asked.

"Yeah, that one. He makes good videos. I will send it in the group wait."

"When will this end? It's annoying me now."

The next hour was spent trying to console and lift Ashwini's spirit. She out of them all was the most affected. She was frightened and negative thoughts increased with each passing second.  She was not alone, millions of the people were surrounded by negativity and fear. Their number was huge and they were acting according to the situation. However, there were a few people like Hiam who found an alternative, a way to distract their mind and see the positive thing. And fewer were like Xenia who was afraid and worried about nothing. They believed in their gut feeling and were relatively positive. They were also the kind of people who got scared only when the lion was an inch away. 

"What happened?" Her father asked when she sighed loudly.

"Got another assignment."

"Good. There is something you will do. All you two do these days is sit and eat. Something is better than nothing." She made a face and looked at him. Her father laughed hysterically "When is it due?"

"Sunday. Sunday always Sunday. Why can't they let us sit quietly?"

"They might actually cancel the exams and you are crying about this?"

"Who knows? Maybe they will make us do all this and make us give exams too!"

"I would love if that happens."

"Papa! Don't laugh. I don't like this." He pinched her cheeks until it started to hurt. "It is hurting!"

"When it's me, it hurts extra, doesn't it?"

"It actually does!"

Laughing he went to his room. She made a face once again before laying on the Sofa. She messaged Ashwini and Haim informing them about her assignment, and then they laughed at her, too. However, she smiled at that time. Shortly a subgroup was formed. Xenia and Haim were bullying Ashwini, something that was a tradition of their group. Xenia was enjoying and having a good time when suddenly she heard her name. She looked up in alarm startled by the abrupt voice. There was no one in the room, so she looked kept looking around.

"Here." She looked to her right and found Maier.  With a heart that was beating fast, she walked towards the room and said upon reaching, "How do you know my name?"

"I don't know." He frowned deeply. "Maybe it's because your mother said it for, I guess, million times. A few million." Xenia smiled which brought his facial expression to neutral. "Your mother once said Xenia and you ran to her. So I guess that is how I know."

"Oh. You are lucky there. No voice is ever coming from behind you.

"It would be odd and terrifying if someone starts calling my name in this house."

"It would become a real haunted house. You know we used to call this house haunted."

"Really? Okay. Is that why you referred to it as a house of ghosts the other night?" She nodded her head. "Why do you call it haunted. Because it's always locked?"

"Yes. And many heard voices or saw something. You know how kids imagine. Also because once a few kids were playing on the street and suddenly an unknown kid came out of nowhere and took their ball which had fallen near the gate and went inside the house. He never came out."

Maier giggled abruptly. "I have something of a similar memory. Some kids used to play in front of our gate and their ball always used to either come inside the house or on the first-floor balcony. My grandfather had to leave his chair and give the ball to them. That time he had some surgery so I wanted him to rest but he preferred to give the ball himself. That annoyed me but I cannot scold him." Xenia laughed. " So one day when I came back from my aunt's house I waited until the ball fell inside the house then I quietly walked in, took the ball and went inside the house."

"So you are the ghost. You scared way too many children."

"I did? I did not know that was the conclusion made."

"It was. Many kids were scared to walk near your house. You know a few kids never came to our house because of that. Well, I am grateful more than upset. We can say it turned out well."

He smiled. "People really did that? I mean that is nothing scary."

"It is not but you know how humans are. They turn one into four. And kids are terrible, they make up more stories than adults. Senseless stories and everyone believes it."

"Makes me question the neighbourhood."

"Hey! It is a good place. People are crazy, no doubt, but it is the best place to live."

"I am sure it is."

"Xenia, my glasses please," her father said who was in his bedroom.

"It was very difficult to find out your name," Maier said with a nod.

She chuckled before turning around to leave however he stopped her before she could leave. "Wait. You don't know my name?"

Turning around again she shook her head. "You never said."

"Well, you never asked."

"You never asked but you know my name."

"That is in my favour, not yours."

She nodded her head. "I understood that as I said." Then she smiled.

"If you want to know then my name is Maier. If you don't want to know, " he paused for a moment," then there is nothing you can do. You know now.

She chuckled. "It is a very nice name."

"I am sure you do not think that. You are very polite."

She chuckled again. "Xenia, glasses, " her father said. Widening her eyes she said, "bye" and left the room. He watched her leave and then kept gazing after she was gone. The corners on his lips turned up forming a pleasant smile before he softly said, "bye."