To Put A Lion In A Cage

Notes:

This is relatively short compared to the others, but the next chapter will feature heavy Rhaella/Cersei and Jaime's time in Dorne. Thank you all for kudos. Much appreciated. I will try to have everything up to Mother's Mercy posted before I leave for Africa next Monday!

This will be relatively short and will lead into 5x08 and then 5x09: The Dance of Dragons.

<><><><><><><>

"Take care of Cersei."

Her steps halted as Rhaella continuously paused outside of the door to Tommen's chambers. Cersei had mostly refrained from asking her to do any kind of specific task since she'd come to spend most of her time with Tommen and herself, but this was the one thing she was adamant that Rhaella remain behind to do. She saw it in her gaze before she disappeared from the hall, eyes cast at her sons door before her duty pulled her into the streets of King's Landing. Tommen had voiced his concerns to Rhaella over his meal, innocent eyes wide and terrified of what was to happen to the last member of his family that remained in the city. He reminded her so much of the same little boy who'd gone around the Red Keep looking for cats to give the love and affection he was never given himself. Rhaella wondered if the High Sparrow had finally beaten Cersei at her own game. She'd spent her entire life thinking she was smarter then everyone else, that having breasts and a pretty face made her more clever. She was the Queen, and no one could frighten her.

No one but the High Sparrow.

Her hand slipped down to where Keeper sat against her hip, Blackfyre at its opposite side. Wandering fingers danced around the dragon hilt as she stared out the nearest window, eyes traveling the length of the city spread out before her.

You're the blood of the dragon. You fear no man, no creature.

"My Lady?"

You only fear the things that make you weaker.

She turned away to face Ser Boros Blount, one of the elite Kingsguard she'd befriended since Jaime had left for Dorne. He respected her enough mostly due to what Jaime had disclosed to him prior to his departure and often sought her out when the other knights felt it necessary to mock her. She didn't let their words both her. Words had not bothered Rhaella since her diagnosis of infertility. The disgraceful Targaryen, they called me. Shame. "A messenger has just been sent from the Sept. It appears that Lady Cersei has been imprisoned."

"Is it addressed to me?"

"No, but I imagine Lady Cersei would rather have you deal with this particular.. ah, problem." He awkwardly scratched at the nape of his neck. "Yourself, of course."

Rhaella took the parchment from his hands and nodded. "Thank you, Ser. You're dismissed." He left without hesitation, each step precise and sure as he returned to his post outside of the King's chambers. She broke the seal on the scroll and pressed her lips together tightly as she began to read the hastily scrawled letter that the High Septon had wrote for Tommen.

To His Grace, King Tommen Baratheon

It is with a heavy heart that I write this notice to you mere hours after the imprisonment of your royal mother, Lady Cersei of House Lannister. It is for crimes of fornication, incest, and treason that she has found herself within the confines of a cell, and she will in due time have her own trial before the Seven Septons to judge her sins as the Gods do.