Whatever We Were (It's Not Together)

Notes:

I kind of adored this chapter. As of this posting, there are only 16 chapters left! Thank you so much for getting this fic so much attention. I was never expecting it to make 1000 reads let alone have more then 50 kudos. You made it worth the time.

Leave a review!! The more I get, the faster you get content!

I wanted to stay,

I wanted to stay,

but then I heard that absence makes the heart grow fonder.

That's when I ran.

<><><><><><><<><><>

One. Two. Three. Four.

"If you so much as call me Kingslayer's Whore one more time, I swear by all the Gods I will kick you so hard that you won't be able to have children."

"Have you ever wanted to have children?"

Five. Six. Seven. Eight.

"Cause if you keep looking at me like that, you'll be a eunuch by sunup."

Jaime had been told each time Rhaella insulted the Lannister soldiers when they so much as glanced at her the wrong way, and if they hadn't been so terrified, the entire thing would've been hilarious. The only problem was that even if he did want to confront her about it, she wasn't exactly on speaking terms with him after what had happened in the throne room.

Then Brienne and Podrick had appeared at the crest of the hill overlooking the castle at Riverrun, and it was like something inside of her had suddenly mended at the sight of her long-lost friend.

"It looks like a siege, M'Lady."

Brienne smiled as she examined the terrain spread out before her in which the Lannister army had made their camp. "You have a keen military mind, Pod." She replied. The squire had become much like a son to her in the time they'd been together, and she was only growing increasingly prouder with every victory he achieved. "But I didn't think she did."

"She?"

"Rhaella Targaryen." She extended one finger down the hill to where Jaime was riding through the center of camp, and had it not been for the flicker of silver hair, Podrick wouldn't have recognized one of Tyrion's supposedly ''dead'' best friend. "Stay close."

That was how Jaime found himself enclosed in a tent with the woman he loved and her best friend. Two of the most important people in his life besides Cersei.

"I never thought you'd find her." Jaime replied proudly, green eyes shifting back and forth between Brienne and Rhaella who had remained remarkably quiet on the topic of Sansa's rescue from Winterfell. "I just assumed Sansa was dead."

"Why on Earth would you think that?"

"In my experience, girls like her don't live very long."

Rhaella was struck with the few memories she had of her time with the Stark girl; Of bold moves in the face of the King who had tried to abuse her in front of the court, of whispered secrets that held the truth of her identity and the way Sansa had confided in her about Bran and Arya, and the very day the eldest Stark daughter had been lost at a wedding that had turned into a funeral.

"Jaime," She said pointedly. "I don't think you know very many girls like her."

"Well, I'm proud of you." Jaime replied. "I'm sure I can speak for Rhaella as well when I say we are. You fulfilled your oath to Catelyn Stark against all odds. Of course, my sister wants Sansa dead. The girl is still a suspect in Joffrey's murder so there is that complication."